Unusual test pressing records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Lucas
Victor Jr

Re: Unusual test pressing records

Post by Lucas »

Thanks! That's what I thought to except I thought it was a Gennett. Do you think it was made by vocalion or someone put the label on later. (And the "Very Good Orch" disc is the same disc as in the other pictures)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Lucas wrote:Thanks! That's what I thought to except I thought it was a Gennett. Do you think it was made by vocalion or someone put the label on later. (And the "Very Good Orch" disc is the same disc as in the other pictures)

I doubt it was put on later- there is a distinctly different look to a label applied during the pressing process versus one applied later.

Lucas
Victor Jr

Post by Lucas »

Thanks! What year do you thing it it from? It sounds great like a 1950s 78 but Vocalion did not have that label design in the 1950s. Maybe it is late 1920s? I've heard records from that time that sound as good as it.
Last edited by Lucas on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Returning to the original question, test pressings were made for a variety of reasons, including :

To obtain the artist's approval for the commercial release of the recording.
To check that the recording was of the required quality for commercial release.
To check that a well used stamper was still capable of pressing more copies.

Lucas
Victor Jr

Post by Lucas »

Thanks! I think this one was probably made for the first reason because Grisioso Riconda / Banola Marranzina (I don't know witch one is the song title) was never released on Vocalion or any other label that I can find.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Test pressings are a common part of the record process. For modern records, they are made to test the mastering and the cutting, to ensure they are playable. There is one first pressing of a Led Zeppelin record that would cause the styli to jump grooves when played on a normal stereo. Test pressings are made to check for issues like this before they go into mass production.

Test pressings for 78's would have been made for similar reasons - to check pressing equipment, processes, materials, etc. The side with the test tones may have been produced to check the modulations in the groove at different frequencies, to check the accuracy of the production equipment, or to use as a diagnostic tool for reproduction equipment (much like the stereo test records are used by users to check their hifi).

That red disk looks wonderful. I've only seen one coloured 78 - a dark brown, very boring in comparison.