Anybody find a reliable source for 10" record sleeves?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Anybody find a reliable source for 10" record sleeves?

Post by Dischoard »

I bought 500 through BagsUnlimited a while ago for around $140. That's almost $.30 a sleeve which seems a bit much.
Anybody got a line on a better site? Or maybe this is the best? Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Anybody find a reliable source for 10" record sleeves?

Post by Inigo »

If you don't mind old sleeves in good shape, Nauck in 78rpm.com sells them at fair prices. Unfortunately the new sleeves I see in Spain are much costly too. For new sleeves, Bags Unlimited was the cheapest years ago, but sleeves were a bit too thin to my taste. Nauck also provides new, flamboyant hard cardboard sleeves, acid free, fine archival quality, branded Disc-o-file, which are very good and durable. You should check the prices, for he makes good discounts in quantities.
Inigo

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check that out. How do you find the quality of the used ones?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Variable.
I use old and new sleeves, paper and cardboard mixed. The quality of old cardboard sleeves is good, but depending on the type of cardboard, and their age, some tend to fragility and start to lose parts of the edges. There are infinite variety of types... I find the ones named Cohoes in brown are good, they must be not so old, maybe made in the 70s or so. The green Cohoes are worse, the cardboard is more raspy. And sometimes the borders tend to trap one another when you take them from the shelf. But I've got many of them for forty years, and there they are! I've discarded maybe 20% old sleeves over these odd 40 years, mostly paper sleeves, which degrade much faster, especially the Decca, Columbia, Víctor sleeves etc. But the cardboard ones do resist handling etc.

The quality of the Disc-o-file in the other hand is very good, but these are new. I have many, as records bought from Nauck come in these sleeves.
Inigo