Hot weather and enjoying music

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Hot weather and enjoying music

Post by CharliePhono »

As some of you may know (and particularly the Southwesterners on the board), we are in the grip of a brutal heatwave. Where I am in the central California foothills, we reached 108 today.

I recall some time ago, I think it was Donnie Wilson, who said it could be detrimental to play records in heat like this, at least in my case where the inside of my little house reaches 85 degrees in such heat (and, I only have fans for "cooling"). Is it not good to play our shellac in 80-plus indoor heat? I have often wondered about that. I have done it in the past, but now wonder if it's a good idea.

Plus, I fell into a true treasure trove of records at our local thrift store yesterday. I spent part of the afternoon cleaning them and am anxious to play them, but don't want to risk damaging them by playing them in a too-warm home interior. What sayeth the Forum regarding this?

Pray that we avoid lightning (which we had last night) and the worst of the worst -- wildfires.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Hot weather and enjoying music

Post by Roaring20s »

There's nothing wrong with the records I've acquired originating from Tucson. It's 8pm and has cooled to 106, it's 80 in the house. Just imagine how hot it was when they were played prior to air conditioning. :) :coffee:

James.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

https://youtu.be/FmbrKupfMLk

And sorry, I don't have a spare copy. This one is tough to find! (that one isn't mine, BTW)
If you want to play them outside in direct sun it might not work out. Inside at 85 degrees? Shouldn't be a problem.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:50 am https://youtu.be/FmbrKupfMLk

And sorry, I don't have a spare copy. This one is tough to find! (that one isn't mine, BTW)
If you want to play them outside in direct sun it might not work out. Inside at 85 degrees? Shouldn't be a problem.
And, that's one "hot" tune!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

It was 105 here the other day. Broke a record set in 1918.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:54 pm It was 105 here the other day. Broke a record set in 1918.
Bother. But at least you did not melt a record pressed in 1918.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:45 am
AmberolaAndy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:54 pm It was 105 here the other day. Broke a record set in 1918.
Bother. But at least you did not melt a record pressed in 1918.
:shock: :shock: 😂😂😂

Well I’ve only broke one record so far this year…I’m low on my quotas

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

When I originally designed my shellac compatible resin, a critical measurement was compressive resistance at different temperatures. I found that somewhere around 85 degrees F was where wear would increase. After a few revisions I was able to design a resin which was equivalent to a Victor batwing but I always noticed that a small amount of "fluff" can sometimes be seen on the needle after playing a side; this was true for both my resin and the original Victors.
I vaguely recall also testing the Shore D hardness value of both and (it could be my overactive imagination) but I believe both also tested as being softer at these higher temperatures. I never play discs that I care about on a wind-up anyway, so I never researched it beyond what was required for my own formula testing.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

donniej wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:25 am When I originally designed my shellac compatible resin, a critical measurement was compressive resistance at different temperatures. I found that somewhere around 85 degrees F was where wear would increase. After a few revisions I was able to design a resin which was equivalent to a Victor batwing but I always noticed that a small amount of "fluff" can sometimes be seen on the needle after playing a side; this was true for both my resin and the original Victors.
I vaguely recall also testing the Shore D hardness value of both and (it could be my overactive imagination) but I believe both also tested as being softer at these higher temperatures. I never play discs that I care about on a wind-up anyway, so I never researched it beyond what was required for my own formula testing.
Making the resin equivalent to the Victor batwing is excellent--I think still that the batwing Victor record is the highest-quality 78rpm disc still widely available, as far as durability. You about can't wear them out. I think the fluff is probably why the fiber needle got popular though.

Some folks don't have any other options other than a windup phonograph or (what might be worse) an Electrola with the horseshoe magnet in it-- but it seems the Orthophonic-style phonographs are easier on the records than the early models as they have good needlebar compliance.

I do not have air-conditioning here where I live. The only way to cool the place down is a 1920 GE 9" desk fan. But what keeps me from playing records on hot days, is the simple fact that on those kinds of days it's too hot to be jumping up every few minutes to put on a new 78!

But since today is fairly cool and overcast, and I am busy with writing and the desk is near the Panatrope, I'm spending the morning with the Victor Light Opera Company.