Unusual 3" Decca records of Andrews sisters, grooved

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Unusual 3" Decca records of Andrews sisters, grooved

Post by Roaring20s »

AudioFeline wrote:I don't think these would run at 78rpm, as there would not be enough distance in the groove to fit the song. Given the vintage and the size, I would guess they would run more at 16rpm. There were players that ran at that speed for spoken word transcription disks.
If you were speaking of the Bubble Gum, it was not an actual record.
The record covers are what you would be collecting.
As for the Andrews Sisters, they are actual records that play at 78 rpm.
Basically a 30 second song, one verse long.
James.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I scoured the internet for any bit of information and came up empty. Just questions from the scant few that had one and asked about it. Now, thanks to a fan of the Andrews Sisters, the most definitive answer to "why" they exist has emerged, and with further digging based on the supplied information,the answer to "when".

This low resolution scan of an advertisement was sent to me. It clearly shows "why" these little records exist.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 873 times
The department store that sold them is The Broadway Southern California. The ad shows their 5 locations. The newest of the five opened in 1950 and in 1955 two more stores opened. Now have the "when". I'm sure future record hounds will be searching newspaper ads in Los Angeles, Hollywood, Pasadena, Crenshaw, and Westchester to get a some more information.

Here’s the text for this low resolution ad just added. I’m sure I’ve made a few minor errors, as it was very hard to decipher.

Shop all 5 Broadway stores Friday evenings.
Shop Friday Morning 9:30 am, The Broadway downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood and Pasadena.

Top tunes by the Andrews Sisters on real, playable records! That’s the fun on Bari-Joy’s Platter Belts. $2.25

Now you wear your own jam session, right around your waist! Unbreakable miniature records that snap off to play on your phonograph. Many of the Andrews Sisters’ swingin’est tunes to choose from. Belts in two styles in smart plastic calf: black, brown, navy, red, green, white or luggage tan.

The Broadway - personal leather goods - all 5 stores.

In person! The Andrews Sisters in the Auditorium of our Crenshaw store tomorrow Saturday at 11:30 am. Come meet them, and receive their autographed photograph with our compliments.

The Broadway Southern California

I searched for "Bari-Joy" and nothing came of it.

Well there we now have it. :coffee:

James.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Wow, of all possible explanations for the records I bet nobody would have come up with this :lol:

Thanks for sharing this interesting finding.
Andreas

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Pathé Logical wrote:I don't know much about these, but I would love to own one of each! Below is a picture off of the internet of a different one. I wonder how many different ones were made...

Nice,
Bob

Here is your chance to own one. A bit pricey I think though...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-RECORD-An ... SwGsRfh6cc

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I just found a couple of these records loose underneath the platter of a Victrola I bought, and I had started another topic about them when I was directed here. So I will write this as a reply on this thread. Thanks for the information! I had no idea that these existed. I'll post a picture of one that I found.

Also, I found an Andrews Sisters display that sold at a past auction, and it looks like five different Andrews Sisters mini 78's were included in this display. So it appears that there were at least five Andrews Sisters ones made, plus the Russ Morgan one. (I found a couple of the Russ Morgan ones). As for the display that sold, it's hard to tell if these were the actual records mounted inside the display or images of the records. Regardless, the lot sold for $350 plus buyer's premium, I assume.

Here is the completed auction listing:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1888774767

Mike
Attachments
IMG_2335.jpg

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

These absolutely do play at 78rpm. I have one. They appear to be postwar. Just a little short duration tune excerpt.