"Cleaning up" cylinders?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
eighteenbelow
Victor I

"Cleaning up" cylinders?

Post by eighteenbelow »

I apologize if this has been covered in other threads -- I'm sure it has, but I can't find any. What is the best way to "clean up" dirty (NOT moldy) wax cylinders? How about black and blue amberols?

Victor VI

Re: "Cleaning up" cylinders?

Post by 52089 »

Search the board for "Labtone".

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Labtone often gets recommended for use on moldy cylinders.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

eighteenbelow wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:32 pm What is the best way to "clean up" dirty (NOT moldy) wax cylinders? How about black and blue amberols?
A damp or slightly more than damp cotton rag (old t-shirt) will due the job on your 2min. wax and blue amberols.
The only warning is for the wax amberols, using a dry to slightly damp rag is safest.
I mistakenly took one from my dry hot garage and wiped it with a rag that was to wet, the evaporation of the water on the surface caused enough fast cooling to split it.

James.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I use baby wipes which contain a very mild cleaning agent safe to use on a baby's face.
Let us not even think about the baby's other end :shock: .

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

This subject pops up over and over. For wax cylinders, I still prefer 70% isopropyl alcohol after having used it for about 15 years now. This will also kill mold spores (they are everywere). Instead, mold spores can be fed with minerals and that's what Labtone actually is.

Labtone is often advertised that it is also being used by the Library of Congress. That's true but LOC does also store their records in a 24/7 climate controlled enviroment to prevent mold growth. Not many private collectors will have the option at hand.

Alcohol should be avoided on celluloid as it is a solvent to camphor that was added as softening agent and is the sole reason why they shrink. A damp microfibre cloth will work fine and some carefully applied water with dish washing liquid has always worked for me. In case the cylinder has a core, just be careful not to get that one wet and let everything dry for 24 hours afterwards.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I have found Labtone to be the superior cleaning product for cleaning wax cylinders. As stated it is used by the Library of Congress and the UCBS. The correct process for cleaning wax cylinders is to use a solution of tepid Deionized water and Labtone. The solution will kill any mold on the cylinder and also remove any other dirt and grime on them. After they have been cleaned you rinse the cylinder in clean Deionized water and let them air dry. The reason for using Deionized water is that it contains no minerals leaving the cleaned cylinders free of any contaminates. I have never had any issues with mold after this process. And like most collectors I store my cylinders in my home under normal conditions.

Rich Gordon