How many versions of Arthur Collins in The Preacher and the Bear?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Governor Flyball
Victor II

How many versions of Arthur Collins in The Preacher and the Bear?

Post by Governor Flyball »

I was just reflecting this evening on how many different versions Arthur Collins recorded of this song? I identified a later different version on the same catalog number 1540 Blue Amberol cylinder today and have been doing some comparisons: the oldest announced BA was from the wax Amberol 1908 version, next a directly recorded replacement direct from I guess 1913 and today I listened to a dubbed version from a diamond disc from 1917. I do not have the Diamond Disc. This is apart from the 1905 and 1909 10" Victor discs I have.

I know Collins recorded this for Columbia but I do not recall hearing this version. I have heard the two minute Edison version from 1905.

I am amused however by the three different longer 4 minute extended performances on the Blue Amberols: the 1908 version is more strict and the Bear growls more realistic. The two later versions Collins gets a bit carried away and the last version Collins stretches the phases in almost a jazz like fashion. I think my point is how quite distinctively different are each of the versions.

I suppose this applies to other artists as well especially in the 20's. Zez Confrey's "Kitten on the Keys" recorded for Victor in 1922 is quite different from his version in 1927. But the Collins' 4 minute versions appear extremely different.

Victor VI

Re: How many versions of Arthur Collins in The Preacher and the Bear?

Post by 52089 »

I would imagine that Collins made are at least a dozen or so completely different recordings of this song. Keep in mind that back then, artists rarely had contracts that tied them exclusively to one label. They were mostly paid by the session or song, with most receiving trivial or no subsequent royalties. Collins (and other artists) therefore had a good incentive to record the same song for as many companies as possible.
Last edited by 52089 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I got the 78rpm Victor version and the 2 minute Edison version.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I have an Edison 2 minute version, a U.S. Everlasting 4 minute version as well as the Edison 4 minute versions previously mentioned. I have never seen it on Diamond Disc either.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Here is the 2min. version on Albany Indestructible:

https://youtu.be/BfJ37wOl0nU

Cheers, Bob S.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I have the 1908 version, and the 1913: I have it on a Columbia disc from the '20s as well. It has the "new" banner label; but it might be a reissue of an earlier take...

- Bill