The Library of Historical Audio Recordings at i78's

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

The Library of Historical Audio Recordings at i78's

Post by Wolfe »

https://i78s.org/

Superlative new resource for streaming cylinder and 78 sound files, discographal info and more. 40,000 + recordings, many from the collection of David Giovannoni, who also guides a video tour. I've been having quite a bit of fun with this the last couple of days.

Need to register to use.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: The Library of Historical Audio Recordings at i78's

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

What a pity that it requires registering even to take a glimpse. I'm not against registering in general - writing on this forum also requires registering for obvious reasons - but I think that asking people to get yet another username and fancy yet another password before even knowing what's inside the website is stretching the concept a bit too much. Some general overview of the collection and the introductory videoclip you mentioned could have been left outside the restricted access area, for all people to enjoy.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Thank you, but again, in turn, a "Video is not rated, log in to watch" message appears... :|

Charles Batchelor
Victor Jr

Post by Charles Batchelor »

I've just given the video a G rating. Your browser should now clear it without login to Vimeo. You can watch at your convenience.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Many thanks, now the presentation videos can be watched! Interesting!
Inigo

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

For the ease that it takes to make an account, this is worth it. There are some fantastic transfers on here, and the sound processing they do is nothing short of marvelous- their 5" transfers sound incredibly clear. I may upload a few of these transfers to Youtube for ease of use.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

This seems like a lovely alternative to YouTube for those looking to live a less connected lifestyle. I've been looking for something that'd let me play online recordings without the hassle of YouTube. This looks great; thanks!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The noise reduction processing used is effective on worn records, or early not so good sounding records like Berliners. That you can turn the NR on or off is a good feature.

It's also nice to have a site with consistently HQ transfers of cylinders AND discs. Browsing by year in the pre-1920's era is more enjoyable that way, conveniently browsing titles in both formats.

Charles Batchelor
Victor Jr

Post by Charles Batchelor »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:06 pm For the ease that it takes to make an account, this is worth it. There are some fantastic transfers on here, and the sound processing they do is nothing short of marvelous- their 5" transfers sound incredibly clear. I may upload a few of these transfers to Youtube for ease of use.
Your assessment of i78s' quality is noted with satisfaction. We work hard to provide the best old record experience on the net. However, stealing i78s' content disrespects our work and violates copyright laws.

We encourage sharing i78s' content through the SHARE button. Here's an example: https://i78s.org/preview/c106f16f293511 ... 5cd5c49d3b

SHARE links as often as you'd like to let others know of the great stuff i78s offers. This is the best way to show your appreciation and respect for this service given to you at no cost.

Thank you.