Edison Cylinder "Test" record - any ideas?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Edison Cylinder "Test" record - any ideas?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Mormon S wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:36 pm Some of the early 4 minute indestructible had separations between two songs that were transferred from 2 different 2m cylinders. I have no clue what the history or purpose of this cylinder would have been, but I have to say the clarity and tone is spectacular, perhaps most cylinders sounded like that when new.
I’ve seen those cylinders before. I would love to have one of those.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

Could this be similar to a "personal record"? The proud parents having their child make a studio recording to be made into records to give to the relatives.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I don't know if it is of any interest or value, but that version of the pledge " I pledge allegiance to my flag" is the Bellamy version composed in 1892.
Sure sounds like a doll record to me.
Dave D

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

To my ear, the voice, pacing, and diction is very similar to other doll records.

Perhaps the actual doll records were of a size that could not be directly molded, and had to be dubbed/pantographed. A regular-size cylinder mold would serve as the master mold to make multiple regular cylinders to be dubbed from.

BusyBeeCylinder
Victor I

Post by BusyBeeCylinder »

There is an article on this record mold/recording in the upcoming (March) issue of "The Antique Phonograph" magazine.

-r

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

I realize that this is a seriously late reply, hopefully it’s of some help to someone in the future…

I would try to make a playable copy by heating the mold to 220*F and pouring in polymorph beads to ~⅓ full. After the polymorph turns clear and begins to liquify, spin the mold to ~1,000rpm to distribute a consistent coat across the wall of the mold. If it needs more force for the plastic to spread, then a silicone bag filled with iron powder might help.

I couldn’t guess as to how thick is ‘ideal’, but the process should be harmless enough to allow for many attempts.

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

Re Polymorph
Sounds like fun however I would be concerned that the plastic material might stick to and strip off the Nickle plating apart form the practicality of the spinning process ( of which do have experience in wax as an experimental manufacturing method and potential for serious burns ).

Transcription
Of course the Don Wilson phonograph would have no problem in transcribing the over size cylinder.

Wax expansion molding
Copies of molds can be made by carefully heating of a wax blank inside the mold in an oven temperatures and timing allowing for the blank to melt on the surface and not on the core and it will end up smaller than the mould when cooled. the problem with this is you need to start with a thicker than average blank for this one.

Doll Cylinder ( speculation )
There is a possibly that the cylinder was intended to be pressed ( moulded ) in the standard Blue Amberol set up and then trimmed to length for the doll giving 2 cylinders each time and not requiring any new tooling in the moulding department the shell is for a celluloid cylinder process by the look of it.

BusyBeeCylinder
Victor I

Post by BusyBeeCylinder »

Brief update for anyone who hasn’t read the article in the antique phonograph.

This mold was produced from one of six experimental Doll records recorded Nov 18, 28 & 29, 1929 at the Edison Columbia street studio.
Electrically recorded.
2-m cutter.
100tpi

I made 24 resin copies directly from the master mold for Charley Hummel. We then made a sub master from one of the copies and finally a production mold from which I made 50 resin copies at (more or less) the correct outer diameter to play with a “c” reproducer.

-Rob
Edisonia Records & Reproducers