Who has the smallest record collection, by choice?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
SteveM
Victor II

Who has the smallest record collection, by choice?

Post by SteveM »

I've been thinking pretty heavily this morning about the burden of my record collection. I have about a thousand 78s, 500 45s, and maybe 200 LPs. All amassed within the last 10 years.

I've been side-hustling as a DJ for awhile now, so every record I would buy, I would quantify it as a tool which would just help me be more successful at that. As I've gotten older (I'm 52), the thought of lugging heavy equipment and records, for long distances, for very little money or appreciation, has zapped my spirit. The pandemic has only magnified the situation for me. I just don't feel much like playing music in public for people (and have not done it once in the last two years). I'm much less of a "people" person than I used to be.

Further, I've thought a lot about end-of-life stuff. I've labored heavily and inordinately over this collection. Nobody I know will ever appreciate it like I do, so when I'm gone, it will likely be thrown away or taken to Goodwill (who will probably throw it away). Guaranteed ... SOMEONE will be cursing this collection ... and me. I feel that I should be the one to handle it ... starting now.

The finding and the buying, I've found, was the easy part. The passing-it-on part ... not so easy. Selling records has spooked me, because of the grading. I've thought of maybe just listing everything individually on eBay, at rock-bottom auction prices for common stuff, or conservative buy-it-now prices for rarer stuff. But very very conservatively graded across the board, so I wouldn't end up with a disappointed buyer.

Have any of you ever gone through a similar quandary, and downsized, and felt pretty good about it?

A massive collection is satisfying to a degree, but now seems only harmful in the end ... perhaps the smallest collection is the greatest challenge. So I'm thinking ... pair down to maybe 100 records for each type (78, 45, 33) for now.

As I was hovering over the BIN button on a couple Oscar Nazke records I've been wanting (big, heavy, fragile 78s), I thought of an analogy I use for when I smell something cooking: "It's ok to appreciate a delicious smell. You don't always have to EAT that smell."
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Who has the smallest record collection, by choice?

Post by OrthoFan »

I've only got about 350 78s now. My big issue is storage space and the fact that the constant damp/cool weather where I live in San Francisco--¾ mile from the Pacific Ocean, as seen in the attached photo taken this past Christmas morning--is an excellent breeding ground for mold and mildew, especially for those that are packed away in boxes --
A view from my roof--Pacific Ocean--12-30-21.jpg
I've always preferred to keep my collection small. When I add a few records, I normally give away those that I don't listen to anymore that are just gathering mold or dust.

OrthoFan

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I've come to a similar approach over the past several years. There are probably 1500 cylinder records here, and I'll bet I haven't played more than 100 of them. In the back of my mind was "...someday..." Well, I'm 67, retired for nearly 13 years, and I've come to realize that my fantasy of having nothing to do but play records that don't particularly interest me probably won't happen. There are probably 2500-3000 disc records here that are in the same category.

I thought about bringing boxes and boxes of disc records to the Wayne show and blowing them out at "can't refuse" prices, but COVID ended that possibility. There are hundreds of Edison discs that I need to offload. I don't know how much our Subaru Forester could haul anyway.

Don't get me wrong - I still avidly pursue certain records, but mostly for artifact value. I'm interested in pre-1910 U.S. disc labels, and early/interesting U.S. cylinders. But that leaves thousands of records here that I don't need.

There are a number of collectors in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area, so maybe in the warm weather I'll announce a Come-and-Get-Them sale/giveaway.

Anyway - yes - many these records are doing no one any good where they are - including me. I've gotten that far in my thinking. Now to overcome the inertia of practical disposal... Good luck to you!

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

phonogfp wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:43 pm I've come to realize that my fantasy of having nothing to do but play records that don't particularly interest me probably won't happen.
I've had that realization too! As I begin cataloging my records, I come across titles that I had no idea I owned, and absolutely no interest in playing. I've been trying to set them aside. Once a year, I donate a phonograph* to my Church's rummage sale, and guess what, it comes with a big stack of records I don't like!

*Don't get too excited, no Victor 6's or anything like that, but usually a nice decent machine. They get better money for them than I could and the buyer is always really excited to get it. It's great fun actually.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

A bit over 20 years ago I downsized my collection from about 5000 to about 2500, but over the following years it just grew again.. At present it stands at exactly 19,819. I have this almost comedic plan to get to 20,000 and then start thinning down again! I'm nearing 60 years old so hopefully the timing will be about right to start gradually getting things more manageable!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Me, 58, too... I have 5247 78s registered in my database, plus a number of duplicates. I've been for many months trying to skin my collection as you... This time I'm really doing it. The system is to play records, and if they have no real appeal to me, in the music they have, I put them apart. Some times I look at the labels.... and then it costs a lot to discard them. You know the strong appeal these Europeans labels full of copyright stamps do have... sometimes it's irresistible! But I'm really getting hard with myself, and try to discard them. Then I'll think what to do with them, to get these discarded record in some lovely hands that really appreciate them.... That's another story!
Inigo

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:43 pm I've come to a similar approach over the past several years. There are probably 1500 cylinder records here, and I'll bet I haven't played more than 100 of them. In the back of my mind was "...someday..." Well, I'm 67, retired for nearly 13 years, and I've come to realize that my fantasy of having nothing to do but play records that don't particularly interest me probably won't happen. There are probably 2500-3000 disc records here that are in the same category.

I thought about bringing boxes and boxes of disc records to the Wayne show and blowing them out at "can't refuse" prices, but COVID ended that possibility. There are hundreds of Edison discs that I need to offload. I don't know how much our Subaru Forester could haul anyway.

Don't get me wrong - I still avidly pursue certain records, but mostly for artifact value. I'm interested in pre-1910 U.S. disc labels, and early/interesting U.S. cylinders. But that leaves thousands of records here that I don't need.

There are a number of collectors in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area, so maybe in the warm weather I'll announce a Come-and-Get-Them sale/giveaway.

Anyway - yes - many these records are doing no one any good where they are - including me. I've gotten that far in my thinking. Now to overcome the inertia of practical disposal... Good luck to you!

George P.
:squirrel:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

This is a very interesting topic.
I’m happy to see I’m not alone in this.
I have been steadily downsizing my record collection for several years. I sold quite a number of discs on this forum over a several month period a few years ago. I collect acoustic opera, and some jazz and blues up to the early 1930’s.
I rarely buy anymore and when I do it’s maybe one or two at a time. I am very selective in what I buy and am fastidious about condition. I now have around 100 78’s (none of which will ever touch a steel needle) and less than 100 LP’s and I’m quite happy. Most of them get played regularly and all fit neatly in a small narrow bookcase in my den. Of course I keep a couple dozen 78s in my antique music cabinet to play on my Victor IV.
I have also downsized in furniture and household items and have been happy living as minimalist as is comfortable.
As the old saying goes, Less is more!

Steven

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

What a buncha loser wankers! :D If you don't want your records, send them to me- I won't even charge you anything for providing this service!
As to end of life- I'll worry about it when it comes. Since only the good die young, at 63 I figure I have 45 years left, give or take. I sell records on here as well, but only my duplicates or triplicates. I may also sell records as my collecting focus changes, since I'm a collector, not a hoarder... unless you ask my brutalist wife.

As to what happens to my collection when I'm gone? Two things:
1. I won't care
2. I am leaving it to my high school bully's offspring. Sins of the father, and all that.

Oh, and I have had two back surgeries as well, so no excuses, Steve! :mrgreen:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

gramophone-georg wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:04 pm What a buncha loser wankers!
Lil Kid.jpg