Electronic Cylinder Machine - The "Wilson Home"

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Electronic Cylinder Machine - The "Wilson Home"

Post by drh »

Looks promising. Is the downward slope of the mandrel intentional, or just a reflection of its being a mock up, not a working machine?

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

drh wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:52 am Looks promising. Is the downward slope of the mandrel intentional, or just a reflection of its being a mock up, not a working machine?
Good observation! That particular mandrel is attached to a sliding chuck, to allow for out-of-round cylinders, and the screws were loose in the pic.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Based on a Unimat lathe? Clever!!

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

For all of you who asked for a video, here you go!!
It’s still not 100% finished, but will be in the next few days. Finished units will be ready in February. Please message me if you’re interested in one.

Thank you.

https://youtu.be/lVeRhHlIxYA

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Interesting machine. Question, how does the user know if the feed screw is traveling at the correct speed?

Marc

BusyBeeCylinder
Victor I

Post by BusyBeeCylinder »

Don - shouldn't the cartridge be rotated 180 degrees in the head shell?

-Rob

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Marc Hildebrant wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:17 pm Interesting machine. Question, how does the user know if the feed screw is traveling at the correct speed?

Marc
The indicated speed for the feedscrew is 118rpm for the correct speed for a 2M cylinder (100 threads per inch, at 160rpm mandrel speed). You can then divide that in half for 4M cylinders, or just watch that the tonearm stays parallel to the groove.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

BusyBeeCylinder wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:33 pm Don - shouldn't the cartridge be rotated 180 degrees in the head shell?

-Rob
Perhaps. The entire tonearm assembly, along with the mounting bracket, can also be installed pointing that way. The machine will also run just fine in reverse.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

donniej wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:50 pm ... The machine will also run just fine in reverse.
I'm struggling not to get the image in my head of somebody hearing a satanic message by playing "Uncle Josh and Aunt Nancy in an Ice Cream Store" backwards... :D

On a more serious note, anybody remotely interested really should view the YouTube video of this machine in action. It looks like a real winner--and not of the Edison Bell persuasion.
Last edited by drh on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

drh wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 pm
donniej wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:50 pm ... The machine will also run just fine in reverse.
I'm struggling not to get the image in my head of somebody hearing a satanic message by playing "Uncle Josh and Aunt Nancy in an Ice Cream Store" backwards... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.