Lily Marleen ( Lily Marlene) German version

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Lily Marleen ( Lily Marlene) German version

Post by nostalgia »

Some weeks ago I came across Lale Andersen's version of Lily Marleen on 78 rpm (HMV label).
Then I started to dig further, looking into Marlene Dietrich versions, and some days ago bought the English version of the song, that still has not arrived in the post.
However, I have difficulties finding information about the German version on 78 rpm of this song with Marlene Dietrich. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Here it is on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56QzGcAKZc

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Lily Marleen ( Lily Marlene) German version

Post by epigramophone »

According to Wikipedia, in 1944 Marlene Dietrich recorded the song in German for the Morale Operations Branch of the U.S. Office of Strategic Services (OSS) for broadcasting on their German language propaganda radio station "Soldatensender". It became the station's theme song, but the recording was never issued commercially.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Roger, that explains why I was never able to find the German version yet on any recordings.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

I have a copy of this on Columbia 6-eye mono lp

https://www.discogs.com/release/2174635 ... -In-German

But as far as 78? yeah, I've never seen one. And don't try playing this one on your Orthophonic!

PortAbility
Victor Jr
Personal Text: There's always something new to discover

Post by PortAbility »

Errrmm I have a copy of Lilli Marlene sung in German by Marlene Dietrich on a Columbia 78, catalogue DC 629. See label image.

I recall when I obtained it I was unable to find it in the British Columbia discographies, and came to the conclusion that it was pressed in England for the Danish market. No doubt someone out there can clarify this.

Another recording on YouTube - different from the one in the first post above - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jrfluDC9AA seems to be the same atmospheric, husky take as Columbia DC 629.
Last edited by PortAbility on Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PortAbility
Victor Jr
Personal Text: There's always something new to discover

Post by PortAbility »

Lilli Marlene 3.JPG
(Not sure why the image has rotated 90 degrees, but hopefully it's legible)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Evidently, matrix number Co-47217 means an American Columbia recording of very late in the 78 era. The Almost Complete Dating Guide of Steven C Barr (God bless him) says this matrix corresponds to the first half of 1952, so the original issue must have been in the red label Columbia 39700 range. The era of Doris Day, rosemary Clooney, Mitch Miller, Jo Stafford and the like.. i remember having a red Columbia of this era, by Dinah Shore (or Rosemary Clooney?) singing a duo with Marlene Dietrich... So it must be close to that of Lili Marlen.
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

So it does exist after all. Proof that Wikipedia is not always to be relied upon.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

... clearly. It's made by contributions from users, so many mistakes can be written there, until someone else corrects them (or introduces a new mistake :D ). It is not written by "authorised" people, not reviewed properly. Kind of let itself grow by everyone's contributions... Once I read the article on Fred Gaisberg, and it had several mistakes. I started to contribute (taking data from Alan Kelly, Fred Gaisberg memories and other recognised sources) but in the end I got tired and let it be. Some day I'll revisit that article and watch what has been done until then...
Inigo

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Wikipedia is actually correct. While the OSS version was never released publicly, a 1945 recording was released. From the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Marleen:

"... "Lili Marleen" became a massive success, specifically on the German language OSS MO radio station Soldatensender, where it became the station's theme song.[15] After its warm reception by the troops in Europe, the song was re-recorded and released, with the spelling "Lili Marlene" after her name, Marlene, with Charles Magnante on the accordion, citing him as the "orchestra director" for both it and the single's B-side, "Symphonie", sung in French. The single was released by Decca Records in 1945.[17] The original OSS recording of "Lili Marleen" remains unissued. ..."

There are later recordings mentioned as well, but it is not clear if those were issued on 78.

Andreas