Teddy Bears Picnic- Black Diamonds Band 1908

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Teddy Bears Picnic- Black Diamonds Band 1908

Post by Edisonfan »

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

This is a test pressing.

vintagetenor
Victor I

Re: Teddy Bears Picnic- Black Diamonds Band 1908

Post by vintagetenor »

Very nice!!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you for posting this.
My wife collects children's records and in particular the Teddy Bear's Picnic. She currently has 27 different 78rpm versions, but yours is the earliest we have heard on disc. Her earliest is a 1912 Winner by the Louisiana Symphony Orchestra. A collector friend has the Blue Amberol cylinder but does not want to sell it.
Only the earliest recordings seem to have included the growling effects. It was not until 1932, when the words were written by the British lyricist Jimmy Kennedy, that it's popularity really took off.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

epigramophone wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:13 am Thank you for posting this.
My wife collects children's records and in particular the Teddy Bear's Picnic. She currently has 27 different 78rpm versions, but yours is the earliest we have heard on disc. Her earliest is a 1912 Winner by the Louisiana Symphony Orchestra. A collector friend has the Blue Amberol cylinder but does not want to sell it.
Only the earliest recordings seem to have included the growling effects. It was not until 1932, when the words were written by the British lyricist Jimmy Kennedy, that it's popularity really took off.
Has your wife seen the Simpsons episode where Bart sings Teddy Bear's Picnic? Not exactly a "record" for her to collect, but a surprising instance of a really old tune showing up in a "modern" setting.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

We have never watched the Simpsons, but we will certainly look out for this episode.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:32 am We have never watched the Simpsons...
You're probably better off for never having watched. :lol:

To save you from watching 30+ years of episodes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrB9dCqd1nI

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

You’re welcome!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

I am currently tidying up some of my (scattered around the gramophone room floor) 78 records and saw this one - and remembered this thread.

I wonder if your wife has this version ? I assume that she has but I thought I would ask 'just in case'.
Attachments
tbp.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

[/quote]

[I am currently tidying up some of my (scattered around the gramophone room floor) 78 records and saw this one - and remembered this thread.

I wonder if your wife has this version ? I assume that she has but I thought I would ask 'just in case'.]
[/quote]

She does have that one, but thank you for thinking of her.

Roger.

ticticdok
Victor III

Post by ticticdok »

I remember seeing that cylinder on: 4-4time.com