My 78’s playback

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-voce
Victor III

My 78’s playback

Post by Viva-voce »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share how I play my 78’s!
I use a Victor IV with mahogany horn (thanks again jerry B) and for more modern playback I use:
vintage Fons CQ30 variable speed turntable with SME3009 arm, and Ortofon cartridge with 78 styli of various sizes from Expert Stylus in the UK.
A 1960 tube Mcintosh preamp with EQ settings for 78’s, with original walnut cabinet.
A 1963 Marantz 8b tube amplifier.
Loudspeakers are 1964 Bozak 302a Urbans.

—wishing a happy holiday season to all,

Steven
Attachments
D7BBBAF2-8288-4976-93B3-A93F2AE42028.jpeg
3E777472-0C60-43D4-8731-9D8276FCA7ED.jpeg
06F7ABD6-F06C-4B1C-93B5-2C5CB72F5ECD.jpeg
E6ADED8F-DAD8-47D2-AE51-1FE89B95C366.jpeg
DF9162A9-3627-462F-8F77-FD257FBEFCB1.jpeg
E2B9C97E-CD07-4D2E-B0E7-A4C2DDE8DB24.jpeg
0D128466-CB2B-47B2-BF1D-A46D4FA11F56.jpeg

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Re: My 78’s playback

Post by BillH_NJ »

Nice setup! I have a very similar turntable and arm combination (Fons and SME) with a Nagaoka cartridge and styli of various sizes. I love the McIntosh—I make do with more modern equipment and a Rek-O-Kut Re-Equalizer III. Unfortunately it has been years since I had tube equipment. The Fons is great both for LPs and for the varying speeds needed for shellac.

Bill

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Thanks Bill—

Yeah this stuff is just too much lol.
Love it!

I use a Nagaoka for LP’s.

Cheers,
Steven

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I like the wooden Eames chairs. Growing up, we had them in every room. I hated MCM then. I have since changed my tune. Those are NICE examples.

Incidentally, Sol Marantz had a home in Sun Valley, Id. when I lived there. I knew him well. He had a couple classic Mercedes that were in my shop for resurrection from time to time. Super guy.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Haha thanks George—

Those chairs are much more comfy than they look—as my guests always find out lol.

I am very fortunate my Marantz 8b example belonged to Sid Smith who designed it.

I’m quite happy with the synergy of this system.

Steven

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Viva-voce wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:49 am Haha thanks George—

Those chairs are much more comfy than they look—as my guests always find out lol.

I am very fortunate my Marantz 8b example belonged to Sid Smith who designed it.

I’m quite happy with the synergy of this system.

Steven
Yes- especially considering the screw heads that protrude out of the back into either side of the spine. :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Haha yes—saved money on chiropractors lol

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

The Fons CQ-30 and its clone the Fons International Mk. I are great turntables for the 78 collector, with the flexibility for 78s and the quality for LPs as well. I used to count them as the best I knew, and they still count as close second best; my favorite now is the Strathclyde STD305D, which to the Fons tables' virtues adds a built-in digital speed readout in RPM. Unfortunately, the Strathclydes are hard to get serviced and full of vulnerable, once-upon-a-time-cutting-edge electronics. Mine, normally a feature of my system for acoustic 78s (yes, I have one for acoustics and one for electrics) has been in the shop for months now with no end in sight. Sigh....

In its place, I substituted my backup table, a Technics SP-15. Less speed variability, but still wide enough for most purposes; digital readout, but in percent deviation from standard, not RPM. :roll: Still, very handy as I work through a large collection of acoustic 78s that dropped into my lap.

Then the Technics went down, too. :x

Fortunately, I have yet another table, a Fons, also in reserve. :squirrel: So now the Fons is standing in and doing its customary yeoman service. If it goes down, though, I'll be in trouble! :clover:

Oh, I should mention: my Strathclyde and Fons tables have nice SME arms. The Technics has a Syntec that I absolutely hate--tracks poorly and hard-to-impossible to change tracking force settings.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Hi David,

Yes I’ve been very happy with the Fons. I had the Strathclyde previously and had same issues as yours and could not get it repaired unfortunately. The technics I have not owned due to the issues you mentioned. A digital speed readout was great to have but it’s ok as I’ve become pretty good at finding the correct pitches.

Happy listening!
Steven