How to clean surface noise from a 78

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
MisterGramophone
Victor I
Personal Text: I love shellac!

Re: How to clean surface noise from a 78

Post by MisterGramophone »

You could just keep it as it is. Most collectors will just subconsciously filter out the surface noise.
Gramophone :pig:

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

MisterGramophone wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:28 am You could just keep it as it is. Most collectors will just subconsciously filter out the surface noise.

Although, I took Curt’s advice and used WD-40, which seemed to help a bit.

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor O
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!
Location: Head? In the clouds. The rest of me? The dance floor!!!

Post by FredSugarHall_fan »

Curt A wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:32 pm Probably the most interesting solution to the issue of noise suppression comes from the Jan. 1920 issue of The Talking Machine World:

Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 6.25.58 PM.png
Has anyone tried this and does anyone know if it does/will work? If not, I will test this one out on my own. Most of my records don't have surface noise that bothers me but others who listen to my collection have sometimes pointed it out.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I have been using WD-40 for over 40 years with no negative effects. It is not a miracle cure to make a record new again, and if you have a pristine copy, it is not necessary.

I experimented with it because the more desirable records I was interested in didn't seem to exist in excellent condition, or if they did, I couldn't afford them. Most records that have been overplayed not only sound bad but they look bad too. I found that the light lubrication in WD-40 was not like using motor oil or furniture polish, which was popular at one time. It seems to loosen up the gunk in the grooves and provide enough lubrication to improve overplayed records. It also has a rejuvenating effect on dried out shellac, improving the appearance. After cleaning, play a few times with a steel needle to remove crud.

It also has another restorative effect on black japanned brass bell horns. I hate scratches and have repaired scratched up horns by touching them up with a Sharpie, instead of repainting them (paint never matches up). The touched up scratches become obvious because of the different gloss between the Sharpie and the old dried out paint. Don't worry... the magic happens when you wipe the horn (after touch up) with WD-40 on a soft cloth or paper towel, then wipe it off. The touched up spots disappear and the horn looks rejuvenated... Try it and you'll be surprised.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Inigo
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Hi, Curt... Never asked before... I was one who used that wax sprayed furniture rejuvenator 'Pronto', on old records and certain labels, which produced a lubrication, nice shiny aspect, and a characteristic odour too... It wasn't bad, as I loved the Pronto smell. It made bad records run better under the needle, and the gunk it extracted from the grooves I believe was the mixture of actual gunk shuffled out from the grooves by the creamy wax substance. It worked well.
I've never tried wd40, though, because of the soft, odd penetrating smell...
Nevertheless, I'm tempted to try, and here's the question; have you ever tried with bamboo needles? Does wd40 improve the bamboo playability of those bamboo-rebel records?
Also think that using a fine bristled dedicated brush to help extending the product within the grooves would still improve their effect... After degunking with Pronto, I used to brush the grooves in the idea that the waxy product was better extended this way...
Nevertheless, I remember that some labels were decolorated with the Pronto treatment. But one learned to distinguish at first sight which labels improved with the Pronto and which could be decolorated... I was 18 by then... Times, ahhh...
Inigo