'My wild Irish rose'--Haydn Quartet (1907)

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

'My wild Irish rose'--Haydn Quartet (1907)

Post by Viva-Tonal »

I found this record in late 1975 at a junk shop called The Treasure Chest in Manhattan, Kansas. It was the first Grand Prize label single-face Victor I ever saw or had. It was surprising to see how close the last recorded grooves came to the edge of the label area, too. The catalogue numbers are chopped off at the beginning of the recessed label area.

This record was badly worn when I got it, and it's easy to hear how it got that way, as the performance is quite good. It's a cappella which isn't too often encountered; typically a piano or small orchestra is there to flesh things out.

I'm not sure who all the singers are beyond Harry MacDonough singing lead and William F Hooley singing bass.

I meant to get this transferred by St Patrick's Day but forgot about it until too late. I hope you enjoy this all the same!

Recorded circa May 1907. Transferred at 73 ½ rpm.

Click on the label!

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: 'My wild Irish rose'--Haydn Quartet (1907)

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

This is an excellent recording. The sound comes through quite well despite the surface noise. I can't tell you for certain who is singing, but in addition to the two that you mention, it's likely that S. H. Dudley and John Bieling are in the quartet.

:squirrel:
Rocky
Last edited by EdisonSquirrel on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Thanks for the info. Glad you liked it!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Bieling, MacDonough, Dudley & Hooley is likely it.

The same group recorded for Edison as the Edison Male Quartet.

Nice song!

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Wolfe wrote:Bieling, MacDonough, Dudley & Hooley is likely it.

The same group recorded for Edison as the Edison Male Quartet.

Nice song!
Speaking of the Edison Male Quartet, my last upload on Youtube was their recording of "Where the southern roses grow."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLWKXMlK ... annel_page

It is interesting to note that John Bieling and Bill Hooley were also original members of the American Quartet (Premier Quartet on Edison). Double dipping!

:squirrel:

Rocky

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

It's really not that bad and gets better too after a few seconds. I like thee early records, they still have something of an experimental touch.