Sweet Georgia Brown on DD

Post by scooter »

Here is a classic as heard on a C-150.

http://www.box.net/shared/hasp56rd9h

iPhoneFreak
Victor Jr

Re: Sweet Georgia Brown on DD

Post by iPhoneFreak »

This is an interesting record, the likes of which I have never heard, do you have some discographical details? Thanks.

scooter
Victor O

Post by scooter »

:o Well, keep listening to music from the 20's and you'll hear a lot more like this.

This is Edison Diamond Disc #51575R and was recorded in NYC on June 11th, 1925 by The Tennessee Happy Boys, Nathan Glantz conductor. My copy is the "A" take meaning it was the first take of the song in that session. Not sure if there were other takes but often they recorded the same song multiple times to create multiple master copies allowing them to make more records from the multiple molds. This information can be seen on the run-out area of the disc that was hand engraved on the master. It's fun to listen to the same song but different takes. Sometimes the first take sounds stiff and the later takes a little more relaxed with some more impromptu playing as the band was warmed up and perhaps board from playing the same song over and over.
Scott

iPhoneFreak
Victor Jr

Post by iPhoneFreak »

Thanks. I do not collect DD, this one is interesting and while Sweet Georgia Brown is a classic - sometimes with another title - I never heard the section this band plays in the middle.

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

That was one the hottest recordings by Nathan Glantz that I've ever heard!

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Thanks for that one. One of my favorites. I've also got it. Not sure of the take number etcetera but I'll have to check. I agree with Fredrik it's one of the hotter ones on diamond disc. Alot of people think the Edisons only got good once they went electric. Not true! Some of the best stuff is acoustic at least to my taste.

scooter
Victor O

Post by scooter »

I agree! I have a few other great tunes that I'll put up soon. The discography info came from the excel list for DD's that is found on the Truesound online discography. There is a link in the "Links" section. There is a list for cylinders too.
Scott

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Scott,

A great one-one of the really great iconic numbers of the twenties. Thanks.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!