The first Little Wonder record: Henry Burr sings 'Ben Bolt'

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

The first Little Wonder record: Henry Burr sings 'Ben Bolt'

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Little Wonder records were Woolworth's first attempts at selling recorded music in their stores, 10 cents each in the US, sixpence in the UK. At most they could handle just barely two minutes of music at (more or less) 78 rpm. About 1300 selections were produced between 1911 and 1919. They were recorded and manufactured by Columbia, with no artiste credits. (This one only says TENOR.) One or two of the later ones are known to have been recorded by Al Jolson.

Later LWs have a small paper label; the earlier ones have an embossed label, rather like the early Edison DDs in some respects. The back sides of the records contain the usual patent date information of the 1909-1917 era slightly raised from the surface.

Transferred at 78 rpm.

LISTEN

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: The first Little Wonder record: Henry Burr sings 'Ben Bolt'

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

As I recall, "Ben Bolt" was one of Henry Burr's very early releases--sometime in 1903. "Ben Bolt" was likely one of the most recorded songs of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It's amazing that a pre-Civil War song would be so heavily recorded so many years after it first appeared. It seems that popular songs enjoyed real longevity in the 19th century.

By the way, John McCormack made an excellent recording of the song.

:squirrel:

Rocky

Re: The first Little Wonder record: Henry Burr sings 'Ben Bolt'

Post by Guest »

i was going thru a box of old records and came across this record. there is no mention of artist only "tenor". there is also a small embossed number. looks like "266". on the back are several patent dates. they are as follows:
dec 10 1901
nov 25 1902
jan 2 1905
feb 11 1908
aug 11 1908 and finally
nov 30 1909
we played it and it does not sound too bad. any idea if it is worth anything? if interested pls contact me at mp.1948@hotmail.com