Show us your records by Famous Historical Figures

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Show us your records by Famous Historical Figures

Post by estott »

OrthoSean wrote:
estott wrote:Bryan made a few cylinders, I've got a copy of "The Labor Question" on an Edison Gold Molded. Taft also did a series around the same time- 1912. Bryan's Gennett discs turn up on occasion, sometimes with other labels such as Silvertone.
The Bryan and Taft Edison cylinders were all made in 1908, Bryan made 10 and Taft 12. They're all compiled on the great Archeophone release called "Debate '08". Yours truly just picked up a mint (and it really is MINT) copy of Bryan's "Imperialism" on Gold Molded 9920. It was listed on eBay by a seller who didn't photo the cylinder, just a generic "box shot" with a $30 buy it now, describing it as excellent, but "possibly with scratches". I took a chance, figuring the buyer protection would cover me if it turned out to be junk. It looks like it's never been out of the box. I'm pleased!

Sean
Sorry I got that date wrong- I don't know where my brain was at.
Sounds as if you got an excellent deal.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I have always enjoyed the quest for historical recordings. Here are a few from my collection that have not yet been shared here. Hope the image orientation for the images is correct. Thanks Bruce for the great thread. I'm pleased that this one was resurrected. - Doug
Attachments
Added this one just for fun!
Added this one just for fun!
IMG_3991.JPG
IMG_3990.JPG
IMG_3989.JPG
Prince of Wales on Victor.
Prince of Wales on Victor.
Mussolini on decorative Victor label.
Mussolini on decorative Victor label.
Woodrow Wilson on Victor 12 inch.
Woodrow Wilson on Victor 12 inch.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Here's one of the records by the Hoosier Poet James Whitcomb Riley. I have always been a fan of his work, which is , simple but not naive. When I was teaching I used to use Riley to counteract the perception that accessible poetry is somehow inferior poetry. His sentiment is honest and quite heartfelt. Pity he recorded when he was old and unwell. This side is almost inaudible at the end.
Attachments
IMG_0002.jpg

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

Political/Spoken word records are some of my favorites as I love hearing voices of famous historical figures from the past. One of my rarest records in this category is a Blue Amberol with Thomas Edison speaking about the Electrip Ediphone, followed by Nelson Durand, the head of the Ediphone division. I believe it was recorded in 1917 and Mr. Durand says this is the first record containing Mr. Edison's voice to leave the factory ever.

It also has the orginal lid. Does anyone else out there have one or know anything more about it?

The other important record is I believe Charles Edison talking about the 50th anniversary of the phonograph and then references the Ediphone. It was recorded in 1927.

Scott
Attachments
50th Anniversary Record.jpg
Edison's Remarks Cylinder.jpg

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

The Ediphone BA is fascinating and I would love to hear it. Is it the standard Blue Amberol thread or is the 150 grooves to the inch Ediphone version? I'm attaching a pic of Nelson Durand as he was in 1906. This is of course from the Edison Phonograph Monthly. I believe the 1927 issue is at 150 threads, is it not?

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

The Edison cylinder is at 150 TPI and I currently play it on my Edison Business Phonograph. I don't have a recording of it, but it really is an amazing record. Edison talks about prosperity and growth for the Ediphone to his dealers. Nelson Durand talks about Edison and his famous quote of Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

edisonrestorer64
Victor II

Post by edisonrestorer64 »

OK her eis mIne

Hello Check out My you tube channel of Recently restored Phonographs and enjoy
Thanks

New You Tube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrRadioman64

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

This is the only record I have that relates to this topic.
Mahatma.jpg
Mahatma.jpg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
Mahatma Gandhi (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi), recorded in Kingsley Hall, London 1931

During his stay in England in 1931, when the Columbia Gramophone Company requested him to make a record for them, Gandhi pleaded his inability to speak politics, and added that, at the age of sixtytwo, he could make his first and last record which should, if wanted, make his voice heard for all time. Confessing his anxiety to speak on the spiritual matters, on October 20, 1931 he read out his old article (1928?) "On God".

There is an indefinable mysterious power that pervades everything, I feel it though I do not see it. It is this unseen power which makes itself felt and yet defies all proof, because it is so unlike all that I perceive through my senses. It transcends the senses.

James.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Does Santa Claus qualify as an historical figure??

This record could also be listed in the other thread about the creepiest recordings... though it may not be morbid as some listed, if I were a child listening to it, I would be frightened of both Santa Claus and my phonograph! :rose:
Attachments
creepysantainphonograph.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well, it was hard to avoid duplicating what's already been posted! Here are some more...

George P.
Attachments
Taft doesn't seem to show up on Victor very often.
Taft doesn't seem to show up on Victor very often.
The flip side.
The flip side.
Thomas Edison was a celebrity and historical figure.  Here's his 1919 speech, "Let Us Not Forget."
Thomas Edison was a celebrity and historical figure. Here's his 1919 speech, "Let Us Not Forget."
Ernest Shackleton came very close to reaching the South Pole, and recorded this interesting account of his adventures.
Ernest Shackleton came very close to reaching the South Pole, and recorded this interesting account of his adventures.
Peary is generally acknowledged to be the first to reach the North Pole, but some still argue the point.
Peary is generally acknowledged to be the first to reach the North Pole, but some still argue the point.
Frederick Cook claimed to have been the first to reach the North Pole, and Victor quickly issued this record.  90 days later, Cook's story was called into question and Victor hastily recalled this issue.
Frederick Cook claimed to have been the first to reach the North Pole, and Victor quickly issued this record. 90 days later, Cook's story was called into question and Victor hastily recalled this issue.
The black Amberol dates from the 1912 election, but the Blue Amberols were reissued upon TR's death in 1919.
The black Amberol dates from the 1912 election, but the Blue Amberols were reissued upon TR's death in 1919.
The flip side is "An Ideal Republic."
The flip side is "An Ideal Republic."
Not really McKinley, but Harry Spencer impersonating.  McKinley himself made no recordings.
Not really McKinley, but Harry Spencer impersonating. McKinley himself made no recordings.
Google Thomas De Witt Talmage to learn about him.  A Billy Graham of his day.
Google Thomas De Witt Talmage to learn about him. A Billy Graham of his day.
Last edited by phonogfp on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.