Show us your records by Famous Historical Figures

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Show us your records by Famous Historical Figures

Post by gramophoneshane »

LOL, yes, it must be midges. I had no idea they were related to mosquitoes, although it makes sense- they sure feel like mozzies when they bite you!

richardh

Post by richardh »

Yes, we call the small annoying and biting type of fly midges too!

On the accents - curious, she sounded quite "plummy" to me, but then her voice was a little quiet. Picking up the point made by MordEth - Yes UK english accents have also changed markedly over the past 70 years and very, very few people I come across speak with a "posh" accent that was often (or should that be "orften") heard back then. Although, Mordeth probably thinks I sound a bit like that after our conversation on skype the other day. Myself, I would say I speak Londonese! (although NOT the Dick van Dyke "cor blimey, gov" type :lol: )

RJ 8-)

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I went to a garage sale a few weeks ago because the listing mentioned "many 78 records". Usually this sort of listing doesn't result in any good finds, but this one was different. I went through shelf after shelf filled with Victor albums and several stacks of Diamond Discs. I came home with a few dozen 78's and a dozen or so Diamond Discs. Among them were some that fit into the subject of this thread. Here they are:

A speech by Harding.
IMG_3923.JPG
A speech by Coolidge.
IMG_3928.JPG
Woodrow Wilson's oldest daughter, Margaret Wilson. (Has her autograph etched near the top of the label.)
IMG_3935.JPG
William Jennings Bryan on Gennett.
IMG_3936.JPG
I couldn't believe when I found this among the mostly operatic bunch of Diamond Discs. Holiday Greetings with Edison speaking last on the disc at the age of 77.
IMG_2957.JPG

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

gramophoneshane wrote:She certainly ain't no Britney Spears :P

That's really quite an interesting record Marcel. Judging by the low record number & matrix number, I wouldn't be surprized if that was one of the first records to be recorded & pressed at Columbia Lane when it opened in Oct 1926.
No doubt Union Theatre Ltd is what we all know today as Greater Union Theatres, who have multi-plex cinemas everywhere you look.

Here a "Brittney" for you........ compare the 1925 ladies intelligence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQdhMSEq ... re=related

:-)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Bryan made a few cylinders, I've got a copy of "The Labor Question" on an Edison Gold Molded. Taft also did a series around the same time- 1912. Bryan's Gennett discs turn up on occasion, sometimes with other labels such as Silvertone.

That Red Cross labeled disc is probably the nicest issue of a Margaret Wilson disc. She made a number for Columbia, all excruciating to hear: she had a weak voice and a limited range. I've heard an unissued test pressing of one piece and a quiet piano can drown her out.

The Harding disc is a relatively common one. Woodrow Wilson also recorded for Victor but I've never found any of them "In the wild"

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Then, the Spencer brothers (Len & Harry) did a few of Bryan's early speeches for Universal.
Bryans Speech  Zonophone Record.JPG
Bryan On The Phillipine Question.JPG

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

I like label variations. I have the same Roosevelt record as posted on page one by solophoneman, except my Victor record does not have the price and it just says "address" and it is by Ex-President Roosevelt. With this record I also have victor 35252, Address to the Farmers by Woodrow Wilson, President. So that dates this record. On the flip side is democratic principles. I got these 2 records together, in the same record sleeve, about 23 years ago when I first became a history teacher, before I was a phonograph collector. I was substitute teaching where my dad teaches history in Garden Grove, CA. The long time department chairperson, and long time family friend, was retiring. She gave me most of her files and resources to begin my teaching career. She had gotten some of those items when she started teaching in the early 1950's at the same school, from a veteran teacher who was retiring. This teacher had been there since the teens. So, those records had probably been used in govermnent classes there in the teens and twenties. They probably were on that campus for 60 years when I got them. I am glad I had an appreciation for records then, even before I started collecting, and am pleased to enjoy them today.

Mike Sorter

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

estott wrote:Bryan made a few cylinders, I've got a copy of "The Labor Question" on an Edison Gold Molded. Taft also did a series around the same time- 1912. Bryan's Gennett discs turn up on occasion, sometimes with other labels such as Silvertone.
The Bryan and Taft Edison cylinders were all made in 1908, Bryan made 10 and Taft 12. They're all compiled on the great Archeophone release called "Debate '08". Yours truly just picked up a mint (and it really is MINT) copy of Bryan's "Imperialism" on Gold Molded 9920. It was listed on eBay by a seller who didn't photo the cylinder, just a generic "box shot" with a $30 buy it now, describing it as excellent, but "possibly with scratches". I took a chance, figuring the buyer protection would cover me if it turned out to be junk. It looks like it's never been out of the box. I'm pleased!

Sean

Ampico66
Victor I

Post by Ampico66 »

I particularly enjoy spoken records of historical context, comedy, or otherwise (such as children's stories). About 13 years ago I was kindly gifted a CD of transfers of historical speeches from Edison cylinders. Fortunately we can now access many historical audio recordings online.

Damon
St. Louis, MO

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In the UK, historical figures do not come any more famous than Winston Churchill.

Here is a record of one of his wartime speeches to the Nation, originally broadcast on September 11th 1940.
Attachments
Churchill 78 001.JPG