Odd "relabeling"?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
TonyJ
Victor I

Odd "relabeling"?

Post by TonyJ »

Picked up a small batch of assorted records at a local sale and came across an odd one. The label was solid blue and the song titles are printed across each side in gold text. Looking at the record at an angle, I can faintly see that it's really a Paramount 20001 by the raised areas of the label. Question I have is, has anyone seen a record company do that before and what the reason may be?

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Odd "relabeling"?

Post by Wolfe »

A label pasted over the old? Sure. No idea what your label is beyond the color and description of the type.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Pics???
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

TonyJ
Victor I

Post by TonyJ »

When holding the record at an angle, you can see the covered over embossing showing it's a Paramount 20001 underneath. The record is badly worn, but thought this was interesting that it appears to be "relabeled" as a non-descript record with the song title only.
Attachments
Side1.jpg
Side2.jpg

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

Tony,

Thank you for the scan. This may have been a test pressing made for review by New York Recording Laboratories executives, or possibly a defective pressing that an employee took home. Paramount was known to label such non-issued records with the labels put in the press facing the discs, and the titles could have been hand-stamped after the record was made.

Interesting and unusual. Best wishes, Mark

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

by the way, Tony, does your record actually play Dardanella/In Your Arms ? Or is it a different selection(s)? I'd love to know what numbers appear(and where they appear) in the runout (i.e.,between the last of the grooves and the start of the label.)

Best wishes, Mark

TonyJ
Victor I

Post by TonyJ »

victorIIvictor wrote:by the way, Tony, does your record actually play Dardanella/In Your Arms ? Or is it a different selection(s)? I'd love to know what numbers appear(and where they appear) in the runout (i.e.,between the last of the grooves and the start of the label.)

Best wishes, Mark
Thanks for the info. The stamped number in the runout conincides with the Paramount number that's "hidden" and the songs are correct. It's so badly worn though, it's barely playable unfortunately.

TonyJ

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

With the way the paper of the labels appears so 'crazed' my guess is that long ago someone tried to clean the record and accidentally washed all the gold ink off the label, and a person hand-lettered the song titles onto the label.