I Haven't Told Her ~ Johnny Hamp's Kentucky Serenaders

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bart1927
Victor II

I Haven't Told Her ~ Johnny Hamp's Kentucky Serenaders

Post by bart1927 »

Here's another snappy tune from that wonderful year 1927. "I Haven't Told Her, She Hasn't Told Me" by Johnny Hamp's Kentucky Serenaders. Victor 20823-B, recorded April 27, 1927. The vocal is by Franklyn Baur, who abandons his usual "posh" style of singing (rolling R and thin L) and sings in a much more casual way. Played at 78 rpm it sounded a bit too fast, it´s a very fast song, but not that fast! I adjusted it using my keyboard and not really trained ears, so I may be off by ± 1 rpm, and now it playes at ± 76.59 rpm. (I have a turntable with continuously variable speed, and only markers at standard settings, so I don´t always now the exact speed at which I´m playing).

Enough with all the technicalities, lets crank up the digital Victrola!

Enjoy!

Discman
Victor II

Re: I Haven't Told Her ~ Johnny Hamp's Kentucky Serenaders

Post by Discman »

Thanks for posting, I like it.

Dave

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Bart,

Thanks for sharing this—I had to point a friend who lives in Kentucky at it. ;)

You also do very good ID3 tags (something I have been meaning to write a tutorial about, and will hopefully get around to doing soon), although you might wish to add stuff like ‘Recorded April 27, 1927, vocal by Franklyn Baur.’ in the comment field (which I did based on your information here).

I’m obsessive about my ID3 tags, though. :?

And with your adjustments, etc. I think you produced a very good recording of it.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

MordEth wrote:Bart,

Thanks for sharing this—I had to point a friend who lives in Kentucky at it. ;)

You also do very good ID3 tags (something I have been meaning to write a tutorial about, and will hopefully get around to doing soon), although you might wish to add stuff like ‘Recorded April 27, 1927, vocal by Franklyn Baur.’ in the comment field (which I did based on your information here).

I’m obsessive about my ID3 tags, though. :?

And with your adjustments, etc. I think you produced a very good recording of it.

— MordEth

Hi Mordeth, glad you liked the tune. I did actually add the recording date to the ID-tag but not in the "comment" field but in the "year" field. I forgot to put Franklyn in the tag, you're right. Thanks for pointing this out.

Kind regards,

Bart

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

bart1927 wrote:Hi Mordeth, glad you liked the tune. I did actually add the recording date to the ID-tag but not in the "comment" field but in the "year" field. I forgot to put Franklyn in the tag, you're right. Thanks for pointing this out.
Bart,

That would explain why the year was 1029 and not 1927—I just changed it in my copy. ;)

Most MP3 players (to the best of my knowledge) only accept having a year there...so I’d probably recommend putting that in the comments like I did. I plan on adding a tutorial on ID3 tags at some point in the not-so-distant future. I still owe everyone a lot of tutorials... :?

Thanks again for the song, I greatly enjoyed it. Everyone here has done wonders for my mp3 collection. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Bart,

A great one, thanks. Love Johnny Hamp. :D

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!