Victor's switch from batwing to scroll: at what number?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Victor's switch from batwing to scroll: at what number?

Post by Wolfe »

This 19625 isn't electrical. Austin doesn't seem to have re-recorded it at a later date either.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

If I remember correctly, wasn't 19626 the earliest number featuring electrical recordings?
Inigo

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

This topic has come up a number of times on the TMF. This guy ratsus I remember said that he had 19621.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13738&p=90104&hilit ... wig#p90104

19626, the Mask & Wig Club record, is often bantered about as the first electrical that Victor released. Not recorded, but recorded and released first.

"A Miniature Concert" by The Eight Popular Victor Artists, was recorded earlier than the M & W C, on February 26, 1925, but released later, around summer of 1925. I think it's the first electrical that Victor recorded that was released, albeit a little later on.

19621 was recorded March 4, 1925.

19626 was recorded March 16 and 20.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Wolfe wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:49 pm This topic has come up a number of times on the TMF. This guy ratsus I remember said that he had 19621.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13738&p=90104&hilit ... wig#p90104

19626, the Mask & Wig Club record, is often bantered about as the first electrical that Victor released. Not recorded, but recorded and released first.

"A Miniature Concert" by The Eight Popular Victor Artists, was recorded earlier than the M & W C, on February 26, 1925, but released later, around summer of 1925. I think it's the first electrical that Victor recorded that was released, albeit a little later on.

19621 was recorded March 4, 1925.

19626 was recorded March 16 and 20.

That record A Miniature Concert is actually a lot of fun to listen to!

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

I recall Canadian Victor issued 19571A in early 1925 with a recording of Jack Shilkret and Orchestra recorded electrically in Montreal on 23 January 1925. It was apparently marked not for sale.
Watch "JACK SHILKRET VE PROCESS - YOU AND I " on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Ay6CLx86u0g

Canadian Victor from mid 1925 labelled the new Western Electric recordings for sale with VE Process on the batwing label. From 1926 the label was marked Victor Orthophonic.

Note in Canada, the batwing label lasted to about 1949.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

DAHR has this as recorded acoustically in New York on January 22. The YouTube does say that Shilkret recorded it acoustically in the U.S.

https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... -You_and_I

Then they managed to get almost 400 miles up to Montreal by the next day to record it again electrically ? Hmmm. By train seems unlikely, and I think the kind of planes that could shuttle the band and their equipment there were in their nascency.

Although nowdays, the train journey is about 10 hours, so even if you consider the trains in 1925 were probably a little slower, I guess it's still possible they could have made the trip overnight between Jan. 22 and 23. :)

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Archive.org has 19621. It is electrical. https://archive.org/details/78_hark-har ... CT_EQ.flac

I know, this isn't much to do with the original topic.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It's not an easy matter. By these times, some recordings were made by both systems, as they were trying the new system. It's not rare that one take was acoustically recorded and the next one electrically. They put maybe both for sale under the same numbers and labels, if they were found right. Besides this, the re-recordings were done electrically or acoustically or both, using same matrix numbers at higher take numbers.
Maybe there's a mistake, and both recordings were made at the same studios. I've found DAHR having some mistakes here and there, and I've reported to them. And that only when looking for info on my records... So there must be many more! The info there has been taken from several sources, including Rust's discographies and others', the Ringler-Deutsch index, and sometimes the Victor ledgers.... One cannot take the DAHR info as absolutely true, nor any of the others... ;)
Inigo

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Yeah, well, I will go with the DAHR info for now.

The other thing is there is some Compo Co. (Montreal) recording ledgers online that don't say anything about anything recorded on Jan. 23, 1925, only that an "equipment test" was performed.