Victor's switch from batwing to scroll: at what number?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: Victor's switch from batwing to scroll: at what number?

Post by De Soto Frank »

Cody K wrote:Additional huh: Digging in the piles of what I've got lying around, the earliest-numbered scroll I've run across so far is 19838, Billy Murray's Roll 'Em Girls with Murray and Aileen Stanley doing Down By the Winegar Woiks on the reverse. Thing is, this one has "RCA Victor Company" on a curved line at the bottom of the label -- which only proves that it was pressed in 1930 or so, though it was recorded in 1925. I'm pretty sure I had a batwing copy of this at one time.

And 20071 has "Orthophonic Recording" in a single line to the left of the hole and "Victor Talking Machine Co." in a straight line at the bottom; while this is the earliest version of the scroll label, all it shows is that the record was pressed before 1928. Sherman notes that the catalog number was moved to the right of the hole and "Orthophonic Recording" appeared in two lines at the left of the hole in 1927, but these changes only appeared in the case of new recordings.

Obviously I need to be looking for the highest-numbered batwing I can find, not the lowest-numbered scroll. Of course! Some things stayed in print for quite a while and newer pressings would be given the label currently in use.

My copy of "Down by the Winegar Woiks" / "Roll 'em, Girls" by Murray and Stanley is on a Victor arch-label ( or "bat-wing", as most collectors seem to refer to them.)

I have a few Victor electrical recordings that were issued with the old arch-label... but they have the VE impressed in the "dead wax" inside the run-out area... don't remember exact titles as I sit here, believe they are classical ?

:coffee:
De Soto Frank

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

De Soto Frank wrote: I have a few Victor electrical recordings that were issued with the old arch-label... but they have the VE impressed in the "dead wax" inside the run-out area... don't remember exact titles as I sit here, believe they are classical ?

:coffee:
There's quite a lot of those around. It was half year or so from the start of electrical recording in Feb-March, 1925 to the big Orthophonic roll out (and label change) in late 1925.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

The earliest numbered Victor scroll I have is Vernon Dalhart - Wreck Of The Old 97 / The Prisoner's Song with catalog number 19427 from 1926. But this may be because the original, non-electrically recorded version, was a huge hit and so they tried capitalizing off of that by re-recording the tune and issuing it on the new scroll label.
Dalhart.jpg
Dalhart.jpg (125.63 KiB) Viewed 882 times
My next scroll doesn't start until 19741 Sousa's Band - The National Game / The Black Horse Troop

The latest Victor batwing label I have is Jack Smith (The Whispering Baritone) - I Don't Believe It - But Say It Again / I'd Climb The Highest Mountain If I Knew I'd Find You with catalog number 20038 released June 11, 1926 and has the V.E. in an oval in the matrix runout showing that it was recorded electrically
R-17580073-1614260963-2288.jpeg.jpg
R-17580073-1614260963-2288.jpeg.jpg (127.45 KiB) Viewed 882 times
The earliest Victor batwing I have with that stamp in the run-outs is Waring's Pennsylvanians ‎– Collegiate / Look At Those Eyes with catalog number 19648 and released June 5, 1925. I actually have about 18 pre-scroll batwings with the (V.E.) in the run-outs all between catalog number 19648 and 20038.

msherman
Victor O

Post by msherman »

Recorded 28 Jun 1926. Record released 13 Aug 1926. As this is the highest # Batwing label in the regular series I have encountered, I'd say the Scroll Label began appearing on new releases in late August 1926. I believe it may have been officially announced to the public in September. (Of course, there could be a higher number I haven't seen or heard about, but probably not by much.)
Attachments
20101.jpg
Last edited by msherman on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I have the same recording of "Black Bottom" from 1926, but it's on a scroll label (still a great tune though.)

The switch happened I think in 1926--as I've seen the scroll label of "Wreck of the Old 97" on a VE batwing, and happen to own both recordings on batwing pressings.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I got a record of Waring’s Pennsylvanians “I’ve Got Some Lovin To Do” / “Thanks For The Buggy Ride” a 1926 release but still on the Batwing label. This has puzzled me.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

This doesn't address your question, but I just wanted to add that the first electric Victor record in the U.S. was 19625, but it would have been issued on a batwing label. (The Almost Complete 78 rpm Record Dating Guide, Steven C. Barr, Yesterday Once Again, c. 1979, 1992).

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I have noticed a "trend" with what I refer to as "either/ or" records that most of the late Batwings (19900-20000 series) have the little circle over Nipper indicating an Oakland pressing on Batwings and no circle over Nipper on scrolls. Wonder if the label change started back East and migrated West...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

marcapra wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:48 pm the first electric Victor record in the U.S. was 19625
I would check that, I believe the first was 19626 but then again, that's wikipedia for you though the user does list as their source
the Victor recording log book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Ta ... ording_era

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

Just came upon # 19730 which is NOW my earliest scroll other than the Dalhart which seems to be an anomaly.

https://www.discogs.com/Victor-Concert- ... e/14674998