How many records have you broken in your lifetime?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Re: How many records have you broken in your lifetime?

Post by Dischoard »

AudioFeline wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:51 am And my cat knocked-over and broke an excellent condition Lois Armstrong Mack The Knife 78 a few years ago, before I got to play it.
I'm tellin' ya, those cats have NO taste!

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Now I can be a part of the illustrious broken record clique. I picked up a copy of Leo Reisman's "Without That Gal" On Victor Scroll in an antique mall on Sunday. I was pretty pleased, as not only was it in nice shape, but only cost me $3. Once I got home, I was wrestling with packages on the passenger seat and stupidly tried to exit the car with the packages in hand (rather than going around to the passenger side door and collecting the packages). That's when I heard the sickening "snap," and sure enough, a wedge-shaped chunk of the record fell out. It was beyond repair. It took a while for me to stop chastising myself over it.

George, if you're reading this, do you have an extra copy?

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I recently broke a copy of Billy Murray & Ada Jones singing"Shine On,Harvest Moon "on Edison 2 minute by turning it too far on the mandrel.OUCH!I'm looking for a copy.edisonplayer.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

only four or five I think? none of them rare or desirable, all common.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

CharliePhono wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm Now I can be a part of the illustrious broken record clique. I picked up a copy of Leo Reisman's "Without That Gal" On Victor Scroll in an antique mall on Sunday. I was pretty pleased, as not only was it in nice shape, but only cost me $3. Once I got home, I was wrestling with packages on the passenger seat and stupidly tried to exit the car with the packages in hand (rather than going around to the passenger side door and collecting the packages). That's when I heard the sickening "snap," and sure enough, a wedge-shaped chunk of the record fell out. It was beyond repair. It took a while for me to stop chastising myself over it.

George, if you're reading this, do you have an extra copy?
Yes, dear. :roll:
:lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I've broken several, mostly in my early years...
One I specially remember was a Spanish pressing of a12" record of Andre Kostelanetz Orch playing Tea for Two and so, one of the later US Columbia recordings. Was the only record I bought that morning for a mere 75c back then. It was NOS. They put it in a bag. That bag I carried hanging from my hand. In the other hand I carried other bags with stationery articles. Just a blow of wind in the street when I was reaching home, and the record hit my knee, breaking in two halves. It took more than 20 years to find another copy!
I remember another one, which was on a sofa, and while changing batteries for a small radio, I drop a battery on top of it. Two halves too... and some years more to find another copy.
And some more...
I don't remember which was the last one I broke, several years ago.
Since then I have to say that I feel a lucky man, for I've moved my home collection, some 3,000 78s, several times, changing the record room, and I haven't had any breakage nor accidents!
Inigo

smitharthur
Victor I
Personal Text: smitharthur

Post by smitharthur »

Honesty, I have never broken one myself. I have done crude but somewhat effective Super Glue repairs on a couple that came in hauls of 50 and 200 records. But thankfully, none broken by me, yet.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok ok! Add me to the “Had a wax amberol fall apart on me club” it was a copy of Sheridan’s Ride by Edgar Davenport. Ok this record had some sort of dirt on it’s core I should have scraped off…NEVER EVER FORCE A WAX AMBEROL ON A MANDREL. But I wasn’t that upset because I have another copy of this one anyway. And I glued it back together and it actually played. But thank goodness it wasn’t something I didn’t have a second copy of! 😅

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

UGH! I cracked my copy of The Night Alarm!! One of the few brown wax wax records in my collection!! 🤬
Attachments
E59BDFEE-0CC5-4E73-8223-6B2D0FDE219F.jpeg

bensfractals
Victor Jr
Personal Text: If op-shops weren't as common, my itch for more 78's would only continue to grow!

Post by bensfractals »

2 lacquer discs, 1 vinyl record, and 2 78's. the first 78 i broke snapped in half on the way home and i decided to break it into 5 before it got thrown away. The second one i broke in half intentionally as it was on the verge of breaking anyways. I still yet have to grind it into a fine powder for the lolz. By pure chance i found a good copy of the first at a thrift store shortly after it got thrown away.