How many records have you broken in your lifetime?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: How many records have you broken in your lifetime?

Post by Curt A »

These guys might hold the record for the most broken records at one time, documented on film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6uhTX42Rrk
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 2.29.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 2.29.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 2.30.56 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Free records:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 8.37.25 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Curt A wrote:Free records:
Granted this was 1929 when they couldn’t give that machine and records away...But dammit Stan and Ollie! :lol:

As for the Blind Boy Fuller record I’d be absolutely devastated if I broke my one record I have of his.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The Stan and Ollie had an explanation. Must be a Victor sponsored film... Just notice how well the victrola stands after the big fall, while the broken records seem to be all blue label gold band Columbias...! :D
Inigo

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Welp. Here’s my latest 78 casualty. I was going through a stack from one of my bins looking for something to play, I’ve forgotten I had a Little Wonder in the stack, it slipped outside the stack on to the floor and that’s all she wrote for that one! ☹️
Attachments
ED4950BD-D43D-42F1-8F68-82ECEFD2D6CA.jpeg

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I broke one of my favorite cylinder records today :cry:

I had taken it down to my shop to test it on a customers Edison standard. When I was getting my self set up to work on it, I went to move it up to the shelf....... the box was upside down.

David
Attachments
A2126A32-EA27-443D-BD5A-520BF4D7B511.jpeg

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

I have over the last 60 years from time to time accidentally broken a few 78 RPM records. I can count on the fingers on one hand the discs I have broken.

I have owned a Capehart 400M Deluxe with the flip over changer that I restored about a decade ago. I have played many hundreds of records on this machine with no problem as the Capehart is very gentle with the records.

However the Capehart doesn't like warped records. Yesterday while playing a stack of 20 10" discs, a warped disc dropped when it shouldn't. The Capehart was unmerciless and the sound of the Victor record being devoured was truly frightnening.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

I have a Bobby Darin Canadian demo of "Splish Splash". As I took it off the turntable to play another record I thought "Oh, I'll just set it here on the record box while I go and start the oven". Whilst in the kitchen I heard a crash, walked back to the music room and there, sitting as though nothing had happened, her butt on my record box, was my cat... staring at me like I was interrupting something important. On the floor was my Bobby Darin record but I now had two of them. ;)

Amazingly enough I was able to superglue it back together and I can still play it on my turntable that I modified to play at 78rpm. AND only occasionally do I hear the 'tick-tick' as the stylus goes over the seam. I've never left a record out since.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Not many (probably under 5 in my lifetime), I'm horrified at the thought. Two I recall:

- Took a quadraphonic LP from it's sleeve in a charity shop to check it's condition, gently slid it out so the edge was supported by the palm of my hand. Snap! broken from the centre-out. I didn't put any pressure on it.
- An Original Dixieland Jazz Band 78. Was stored vertically, I gently lifted it out and it broke, concentric around the grooves.

And my cat knocked-over and broke an excellent condition Lois Armstrong Mack The Knife 78 a few years ago, before I got to play it.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I also have a Spanish pressing hmv which is split concentric by the lock grooves... Ready to make a coaster!
Inigo