How many records have you broken in your lifetime?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Tyler Baldwin
Victor Jr

Re: How many records have you broken in your lifetime?

Post by Tyler Baldwin »

The only breakage that really stands out to me is when I accidentally elbowed a copy of Blind Boy Fuller's "Walking And Looking Blues". The real kicker was that right on top of it was a copy of Phil Harris' "That's What I Like About The South" on RCA Victor, seems some higher power really wanted to mess with me that day.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Tyler Baldwin wrote:The only breakage that really stands out to me is when I accidentally elbowed a copy of Blind Boy Fuller's "Walking And Looking Blues". The real kicker was that right on top of it was a copy of Phil Harris' "That's What I Like About The South" on RCA Victor, seems some higher power really wanted to mess with me that day.
OUCH.

If you want that Phil Harris record, I have it someplace, and as finals week winds down I may be able to get out & post it for you. I already have 2 records to send someone that I have not sent yet due to finals making it impossible to do anything other than school.

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

I have broken one record and I have worn out one record.
I have never discarded a record.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I’ve broken 3. The worst one was a jelly roll Morton reissue :oops:

Zkeener323
Victor I

Post by Zkeener323 »

I've broken more than my fair share. Most when I first started collecting, primarily by snapping in the spines of albums. The worst one for me was My Man's On The Make with vocals by Belle Mann- Nat Shilkret I believe. Most of my other breakages occurred in what I refer to as the Crash of '14. I just moved into a new house- was trying to be organized and put some records without sleeves on a closet shelf. I pulled one out and while I was looking at it, a portion of the shelf started rolling off. Red Seal Orthophonics came raining down. Scared my dachshund Timone so bad he soiled himself. From then on, only records in sleeves get put on shelves.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

I has Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers "Slow Buck" slip out of the sleeve on Friday shattering on the kitched floor :cry:

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Zkeener323 wrote:I've broken more than my fair share. Most when I first started collecting, primarily by snapping in the spines of albums. The worst one for me was My Man's On The Make with vocals by Belle Mann- Nat Shilkret I believe. Most of my other breakages occurred in what I refer to as the Crash of '14. I just moved into a new house- was trying to be organized and put some records without sleeves on a closet shelf. I pulled one out and while I was looking at it, a portion of the shelf started rolling off. Red Seal Orthophonics came raining down. Scared my dachshund Timone so bad he soiled himself. From then on, only records in sleeves get put on shelves.
Ahh just like the Crash of ‘16 for me. The Whiteman record was sort of a victim of it. Only having a crack from spindle hole to edge and four years later the rest of it broke. I’ve still haven’t replaced the casualties from that June day in 2016 shortly after I got my first Victor machine.

Tyler Baldwin
Victor Jr

Post by Tyler Baldwin »

If you want that Phil Harris record, I have it someplace, and as finals week winds down I may be able to get out & post it for you. I already have 2 records to send someone that I have not sent yet due to finals making it impossible to do anything other than school.
What I meant was that there was a decently rare Blind Boy Fuller record and a very common Phil Harris record, and the one that broke just had to be the one that would be harder to replace. If that Phil Harris record broken, I wouldn't be too broken up over it.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Like many of you, I have broken many cylinders and 78s. Back when I was doing the flea market circuit in the 1980s, I would bring a few cracked records with me and would break one over my head for shock value. The expression on people's face was priceless!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I've broken a few. The most frustrating was one that I had just bought. I hadn't even played it yet. I laid it down on the bed, then promptly sat on it. It wasn't a particularly desirable record, just really irritating!

Whenever I hear of broken record stories, I have to think of a story I once heard. I don't know who the collector was, but he apparently had a few thousand records stored on the second floor of his home. While having the family over for Thanksgiving dinner, and in the middle of the meal, a few hunks of plaster fell from the ceiling. Then, suddenly, the whole ceiling caved in, dumping records all over the dinner room table. I've heard the story from a couple different sources and have no reason to believe it's not true.