1939 Golden Gate International Exposition Souvenir Record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

1939 Golden Gate International Exposition Souvenir Record

Post by melvind »

Yesterday I was at an antique show in Portland Oregon and found this cute little souvenir aluminum record. It was made for a little girl that is almost 4 years old by her "Daddy". Charming and he sings Happy Birthday to her. I have never seen one of these records before but it seems to be a more modern recording similar the 1904 St. Louis and 1905 Portland exposition napkin ring cylinder records. While noisy, it is pretty clearly recorded.

Enhanced the sound Nov 15, 2017
[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSX1durK20[/youtubehd]
To Haidee from Daddy 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition.jpg
Last edited by melvind on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition Souvenir Recor

Post by phonogfp »

Nice, Dan! These little slices of humanity are really charming. I enjoy some cylinder home recordings for the same reason. I hope Haidee's dad survived the following six years.

As an aside, your record was recorded on my mother's 18th birthday! (She's 96 and still going strong...)

George P.

melvind
Victor IV

Re: 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition Souvenir Recor

Post by melvind »

phonogfp wrote:Nice, Dan! These little slices of humanity are really charming. I enjoy some cylinder home recordings for the same reason. I hope Haidee's dad survived the following six years.

As an aside, your record was recorded on my mother's 18th birthday! (She's 96 and still going strong...)

George P.
George, I wondered the same thing about the father. I did a quick search and actually found information on Haidee and her parents in the 1940 census records in San Francisco. She was 4 and her father, Abraham Levine, was 45. Her mother, Natalie, was 34. I think I found a death notice for Abraham in 1969 so it seems he did survive the war. There is also some kind of world war II draft card for him, but I couldn't get far enough into that to make sure it was him. Haidee herself died in 2014 in San Francisco and had no children. So that likely explains how the disc came to be at an antique show. I rarely get this good a search result from google. Kind of an amazing time travel story to the past.

And, I love the fact that the record was recorded on your mother's birthday!