Opening a 78-only record label

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
SteveM
Victor II

Re: Opening a 78-only record label

Post by SteveM »

Charles, any estimate of what a minimum initial run might cost? Perhaps 10 or 20 records?

I've been badly, badly wanting to record a few sides of my own (which I could do easily enough myself ... just Django-style guitar and vocals), getting them pressed on a shellac equivalent, then playing them and selling them (at cost) at my windup DJ gigs.

Currently at said DJ gigs, I'll occasionally plop on a not-too-cluttered instrumental (like Jimmy Noone's "Sweet Lorraine") and grab a couple vocal choruses with my megaphone/mic combo.

But this would be next-level ish!

So, I'm indeed very excited to read your post here and I could be a customer in perpetuity! :D
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

UPDATES.

I don't know when I will be working further on this--perhaps circumstance will kill it off but I hope not.

The trouble is, it is looking more and more like I can move in 2019. Not having a car, I don't want to try moving a record factory in a couple suitcases.

In the meantime I am reading about how to build up the materials to avoid playback wear, and saving up plans and song ideas. Hopefully there will be something coming soon--wish I hadn't announced this so early. :(

In the meantime I am researching vacuum chambers and pumps, planning molds--unfortunately I might need a laboratory to get this on! With trapping season coming up, Dad and Kid Brother will want to use the barn for animal hides, thus removing all things vintage and mechanical to the house...where no epoxy or gasoline smells are tolerated. Imagine that!

Planning, though...the idea is super hot jazz music and perhaps early country, plus whoever could record for me now.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

SteveM wrote:Charles, any estimate of what a minimum initial run might cost? Perhaps 10 or 20 records?

I've been badly, badly wanting to record a few sides of my own (which I could do easily enough myself ... just Django-style guitar and vocals), getting them pressed on a shellac equivalent, then playing them and selling them (at cost) at my windup DJ gigs.
Steve,
I hope not to get step on anyones toes with this post and apologize in advance if I'm doing so.
I'm currently able to take a digital recording, cut it to a lacquer and then reproduce it in my shellac compatible resin. A video is below. Message me if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/1tUU-yja0WA

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

So if you guys would make say, a Beatles 78 record, would that be considered pirating and against the law? If not, could you imagine hearing something like "Hey Jude" out of a 1916 Victrola :) I would even like to hear something really modern play on my credenza like a trance song or other EDM song.
Last edited by travisgreyfox on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

donniej wrote:
SteveM wrote:Charles, any estimate of what a minimum initial run might cost? Perhaps 10 or 20 records?

Steve,
I hope not to get step on anyones toes with this post and apologize in advance if I'm doing so.
I'm currently able to take a digital recording, cut it to a lacquer and then reproduce it in my shellac compatible resin. A video is below. Message me if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/1tUU-yja0WA
Don, I'll be in touch, thanks! Excited about your newest formulation, the video was just NUTS!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

travisgreyfox wrote:So if you guys would make say, a Beatles 78 record, would that be considered pirating and against the law? If not, could you imagine hearing something like "Hey Jude" out of an 1916 Victrola :) I would even like to hear something really modern play on my credenza like a trance song or other EDM song.
Beatles records were pressed in India, perhaps as late as 1968. They are quite scarce and quite expensive.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'd buy multiple copies of Beck's "Loser" on 78... it's my theme song! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

52089 wrote:
travisgreyfox wrote:So if you guys would make say, a Beatles 78 record, would that be considered pirating and against the law? If not, could you imagine hearing something like "Hey Jude" out of an 1916 Victrola :) I would even like to hear something really modern play on my credenza like a trance song or other EDM song.
Beatles records were pressed in India, perhaps as late as 1968. They are quite scarce and quite expensive.

That's why we have resin and mp3's :D I just do not know the legality of pressing a copyrighted song onto an obscure 78 rpm record.
gramophone-georg wrote:I'd buy multiple copies of Beck's "Loser" on 78... it's my theme song! :D
My theme song is Creep by RadioHead :lol: