Record Label Transparencies

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Record Label Transparencies

Post by MordEth »

From Wikipedia, here is a Zon-o-phone (I prefer the ‘spare no expense with hyphens’ rendering), which is apparently not the best-playing record:

...this was also part of the great try-to-have-every-label-in-the-stock-avatar-gallery plan.

Enjoy.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Here's the another scan that shows the green Zono label a little better, the Wiki one looks kind of washed out.Image

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

And finally, let me finish my re-posting with a bang. Here are a quite a batch of record labels from phonophan79. I tried with machine translation to make sense of the Cyrillic text (and will type that up again), but perhaps this time someone more knowledgeable (Kalash?) could offer some insight into what it truly says.

Here is my attempt at typing the Russian:
Russian label wrote:ММП РСФСР

П

ПΛАСТМАСС
Ф•КА №1
МОСКВА
ІІІ ГР. 5 Р. 70 К.
580 ГОСТ ІІІ 5289-50 ІІІ КЛ.

ВАЛЬС

ОБР. С. ВОСКРЄСЄНСКОГО
АНС. П/У. Ю. ШАХНОВА
Google Language Tools wrote:MSCo RSFSR

P

ПΛАСТМАСС
F • Spacecraft №1
MOSCOW
III GR. 5 R. 70 K.
580 GOST 5289-50 III III TC.

VALS

Arr. S. ВОСКРЄСЄНСКОГО
ANS. P / W. Yu SHAHNOVA

I still have quite a few labels (and other images) that I want to cut out, so please bear with me as I work on them. If you have a label (or five—or more) that you would like cut into a transparency, please let me know. Record labels are very easy, as opposed to the machine picture transparencies, but I enjoy making images of both types, and if it results in someone seeing a label that they might not otherwise (or getting to use their favorite label as an avatar), so much the better.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Wolfe wrote:Here's the another scan that shows the green Zono label a little better, the Wiki one looks kind of washed out.
Wolfe,

Yes, I think that one looks better, although the one that I used is a bit larger. Here is a cutout of the version you posted:

I’ve also added this version to the stock avatar gallery. I think the edge is better in the first one, so I’ve left both, so any Zon-o-phone fans out there can have a choice. ;)

I should have more labels up soon...Fredrik has given me permission to cut a ton of his labels for our use, and it is much appreciated.

— MordEth

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

And now it is time to get more of Fredrik’s excellent collection of label scans up for the enjoyment of our members and guests.

Tonight I have a selection of four labels, all of which have been added to the stock avatar gallery (in the ‘labels’ category):

Fredrik—thanks again for letting us use these!

— MordEth

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

You're welcome!

If interested you can read a bit more (in English) about Sonora as well as Sundquist if you scroll quite far down on this page:

http://www.mgthomas.co.uk/DanceBands/In ... eWorld.htm

The Sundquist is probably the rarest Swedish label I have in my collection. The one used for the scan is so far the only copy I've ever seen.

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Fredrik wrote:If interested you can read a bit more (in English) about Sonora as well as Sundquist if you scroll quite far down on this page.

The Sundquist is probably the rarest Swedish label I have in my collection. The one used for the scan is so far the only copy I've ever seen.
Fredrik,

Thanks again!

I think that it would be nice to include information about the labels in this thread as well, although regrettably, I can only contribute my graphics-monkey skills. ;)

To quote the linked page (although be sure to look at it, because there are a lot of other interesting labels on it, including some that are already in this thread, and others that I wish to add to this thread in the future):
Rest of the World wrote:This was a “private” Swedish record label owned by accordionist Ragnar Sundquist (1892-1951). A very popular and productive musician, Sundquist recorded more than 400 sides for various companies (and toured the US three times, meeting Pietro Frosini whose works he introduced in Sweden), but his own record company turned out to be a short-lived venture. Only five records were issued; six of the ten sides featured Sundquist as a solo performer and the remaining four were duets between his brothers Oscar and Sven Sundquist. All sides were recorded in London in December 1920 by Columbia who also pressed the records. It is not known how they were distributed or how much they cost. The catalogue numbers are SG 6012 to SG 6016. They are probably quite rare.

Thanks, as ever, to Fredrik Tersmeden for the scan and the information.
If you have not already added this page to the Links section, perhaps you might wish to do so—I think that everyone would welcome more resources to learn about their records.

I look forward to adding a lot more content to both this thread and the stock avatar gallery.

There is definitely no shortage of record labels that I have not managed to include yet!

— MordEth

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Here are some more labels from Wolfe:

And as always, they can be found (avatar-sized) in the stock avatar gallery under ‘labels’.

— MordEth

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

And here are some selections from Lenoirstreetguy:

Of course, these are in the stock avatar gallery under ‘labels’ as well.

As an added bonus—if anyone can tell me which two labels (in this post) required ‘cheating’ to create, and how I ‘cheated’ on them...well, expect some type of prize.

Good luck!

— MordEth

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Here are a couple more from the Neophone YouTube Collection (i.e. scans that I have done of John’s records for YouTube).

(Click on the image above or this link for a 2050 x 2042 PNG [6.1 MB].)

(Click on the image above or this link for a 2110 x 2110 PNG [6.3 MB].)

I have more planned of these, but I wanted to take a moment to do something with Viva-Tonal’s royal blue Columbia image without making everyone wait to see these (or use them as avatars).

Enjoy!

— MordEth