Multi-Colored, Splattered-Shellac 78rpm Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Pathe Logical
Victor II

Re: Multi-Colored, Splattered-Shellac 78rpm Records

Post by Pathe Logical »

gramophone-georg wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:06 pm
Curt A wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:02 pm
Inigo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:49 am ... or contain irrelevant music!
I never buy a splatter record or picture disc because of the music, only the visual aspect...
Same here. The exception is splatter Pathés- very often these are good hot jazz that get played regularly.
For an example of the best of both worlds, check out the Famous disc in my original post. I bought that record for both the music and the visual appeal. (W. C.) Handy’s Memphis Blues Band —- Muscle Shoals Blues / She’s A Mean Job. I’ve also seen Paramounts in the 12,000 race series pressed in multi-colored wax. Once in awhile you get lucky!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That's true... By the way, you barely beat me on buying that Brunswick from George... :mrgreen:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 pm That's true... By the way, you barely beat me on buying that Brunswick from George... :mrgreen:
That Brunswick was actually a good record! I regretted selling it immediately but it is what it is. Bob is really into splatters so at least it found a good home!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Thanks for sharing the pics, I've never seen any like these in reality (not many here), the closest I've held was a brown-coloued 78.
They remind me of the splatter-vinyl that was used to press many bootleg LPs in the 1970's.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi AudioFeline,

You mentioned not seeing records like these in your country. Coincidentally, the Paramount record I pictured in my June 23, 2020 post was repatriated from Australia back to Wisconsin in the U.S.A. where it was manufactured. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the package containing that record arrived unscathed after its long journey back home!

Happy hunting,
Bob