Early Pre-1900 Recordings

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Re: Early Pre-1900 Recordings

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Pressed/molded pre 1900 or recorded pre 1900? If recorded pre 1900 (ie brown wax), I have one, but it's a re release on gold moulded. "Pat Malone Forgot That He Was Dead". An interesting and comical record. (Story of an Irishman that fakes his death by getting drunk so he can collect life insurance).

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Early Pre-1900 Recordings

Post by drh »

Governor Flyball wrote:
jmad7474 wrote: It is mind-blowing to think though, that when that record was released, Terrell's voice potentially amused an entire population of about 1.5 billion people on this planet, of whom NONE are still around!
What I think is actually mind blowing is that more than a hundred years after his death, Terrell has a much wider audience via the internet. Talk about immortality: our grandchildren and great grandchildren will still be listening to and talking about Terrell.
Which reminds me of the narration at the outset of the Pathé demonstration disk: "I am a Pathé record, guaranteed to play a thousand times, and with care I will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are." And it did!

I have one cylinder, "The Bonnie Briar Bush" played by the Edison Symphony Orchestra, that according to the Koenigsburg reference predates 1900--but mine is in black wax, so I don't think that's right.