The (very exclusive) 16 RPM Club.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: The (very exclusive) 16 RPM Club.

Post by Inigo »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:51 am For some reason, instead, 16 RPMs were primarily marketed for pop. Perhaps, had they released long operas or symphonies on a single 16 RPM, the story might have changed.

In which sense your father thought 16 RPMs were a technical failure? They still play fine after all these years.
Maybe his experience was with a bad record player... or he had some friends with that opinion... The 16lps I've seen in Spain were classical music, and I think, putting all this in the pot, that maybe classical music was not the ideal for that speed, as if indeed there was a tendency in the players to wobble (I mean the usual 4 speed record players in the popular market, where the tt was driven by an idler wheel) then the long sustained notes of strings or piano would have been marred if the speed was not clock-exactly sustained by these players. That could be the usual scenery for a common listener and record fan. No doubt that those other purposely made 16rpm sound systems as the Seeburg, could have been designed in a different way, and gave much better results, than the usual, common market, 4 speed record players. Such a professional and good 16rpm machine wouldn't be in the market for the common man, or could have been too expensive, being also incapable of playing the common speed records. So the middle man who wanted to try these long lps, at least here in Spain or Europe, would have to play them in the common 4-speed record players of the time, which weren't as good to play on that slow speed... All together, that could well have been the 16rpm experience for the common music lover in the Spain (or Europe) of the mid fifties. And that could be the reason to make them think that this was a failure, as indeed it was in the popular record market.
I'm only trying to tie the real facts we can see, to the only direct opinion I knew in my youth, adding some logic to reconstruct the scenery behind the facts: with all that has been said herein, the idea I've got is summarized this way. Only were succesful the purposely made 16rpm machines and records issued for a very limited niche in the market (the lounge sound systems), but for the main stream of record shops and common record players buyers, it was indeed a commercial failure. No doubt that with modern electronics, direct drive tts, high end audio systems, these 16rpm commercial records can sound perfect, but this was not the situation for the average record buyer in the mid fifties.
This is how I think that bad opinion may have been born.
The fact is that they finally weren't so popular as the record makers had expected, they are very rare today, isn't it? Kind of a rarity... many times scarcer than our old beloved 78s... Last time I saw one 16rpm lp was many years ago, in those second hand record stores!
No doubt they are today a collector's item, much more expensive than 78s!

What amazes me is the appreciation, maybe I'm wrong.. that the 4 speed record players lasted much longer in the market than the records... If the record makers didn't make so many 16lps, why the tt makers insisted on having the 16rpm available for so long? :?:
Inigo

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I see your points. However, the 16RPM speed is the one most demultiplied by the wheels' cascade, so it's also the "easier" to get and the less demanding over the turntable motor. A turntable that can't keep 16 RPM steady, can't keep 33RPM steady as well, and will be completely off at 78RPM.

I think that 16RPMs were not a "technical failure", but they were deployed too late and with a wrong marketing. As already pointed by another poster, their sound is at least as good as that of any average 78, so if people enjoyed 78s, they might have enjoyed 16s as well. At the same time, when people felt that 78s were surpassed, 16s had not much to say any longer too. So their lifespan was anyway too short to reach any reasonable success, in my opinion.

Also, they could have been used more smartly, again in my opinion. I believe it would have made much sense to fit a 4-hours Wagner opera on a pair of 16RPMs and then market them at a reasonable price, as opposed to a full album of costy and space-demanding 33RPMs. But this hasn't been done, as far as I know. Contrarywise, I own a 16RPM recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons that fits a 7'' record. A nice and lovely item indeed, but the Four Seasons fit with no problems at all a standard single 33RPM record, and would play better. So: a more or less missed, misused chance methinks.

Since few 16 RPM titles were issued over few years to begin with, I would say that they are "scarce" today, not "rare" in strict terms. It is relatively easy to get all the titles released in a nation (if you're quite careless about money, that is). If you think about it, this is not true for many 78RPM records that sold well at their times, but are almost impossible to purchase today.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I've casually found a funny video that I'm sure other members of this respectable exclusive club will enjoy. :D

A chap in this videoclip "decrypts" some super-fast chat noises from an amusing 45 RPM record by playing it at 16 RPM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m74cvvGd9sA

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Jerry B. made me a member of the even more exclusive 8RPM club! :shock: