What should I pay for a brown wax cylinder lot?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

What should I pay for a brown wax cylinder lot?

Post by Mormon S »

I'm talking to someone who has 30 brown wax cylinders with the cardboard box and pegs, and they are willing to sell them, but they arent close enough to pick up. They offered to ship, but, I'm obviously worried about them breaking.

Considering I don't know the titles (and I'm not going to ask them to list every single one), does $10 each sound reasonable?

Thanks
Marrin

rgordon939
Victor V

Re: What should I pay for a brown wax cylinder lot?

Post by rgordon939 »

Tough question to answer, there are a lot of variables. Manufacturer, title, and condition ding the biggest. If the cylinders are not cracked and pretty mold free $10 is a good starting price. Good mold free brown wax cylinders that play well will sell for $30.00 and up depending on title. Good luck with your purchase and make sure that they are packed EXTREMELY WELL. It’s a shame you can’t pick them up as that is always my go to choice if possible.

Rich Gordon

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Give 'em $5.00 for the whole box. Then tell them to scram. That's how it was done in the old days.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

If you haven't already, be sure to get pictures of the actual cylinders. Moldy brown wax can be cleaned and shaved, but then $10 may be too high. If they are clean and playable, $10 is pretty cheap.

When shipping, treat them like you are packing very fragile wine glasses. Ship them in sturdy cylinder boxes, like the common Gold Moulded type. Use lots of bubble wrap and quality packing peanuts, not newspaper, and double box them for extra security. Be sure the cylinders are nowhere near the walls of the box. Mark the box FRAGILE DO NOT DROP in large letters in multiple places. Lastly, when the box comes, allow it to sit in the house for a day or so to allow the temperature to stabilize.

Good luck, and let us know what you wind up getting!

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Forgot to mention, my parents know someone who lives very close and is asking if they can pick it up. Based on the picture they are relatively mold free, but a few may not have been handled that great. Another worry is they also have an amberola 30 for sale, and I have the feeling they tried to play some of them on it. :?. Will update

Thanks
Martin
Attachments
Screenshot_20190506-154029_Facebook.jpg

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Looks like a great find. If you do have them shipped make sure they are not left on the pegs in the boxes or they will be damaged. Each one should be wrapped separately. Hopefully your family people can pick them up for you.

Rich Gordon

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

I'm going to go for the shipping. What type of shipping instructions should I give them?

Thanks
Martin

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

You may wish to review my post above for some guidelines. There is also good packing info on tinfoil.com, but I'm not sure that site is available anymore.

Good luck!

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

52089 wrote:You may wish to review my post above for some guidelines. There is also good packing info on tinfoil.com, but I'm not sure that site is available anymore.

Good luck!
Thanks. The thing is, they dont have cylinder boxes, they said they would wrap them in bubble wrap :?.

I will tell them to use packing penuts and to double box. I also told them to pack them upright and write "this way up" on the box.

Martin

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

You should consider sending them boxes to put them in. If not here is another solution. They could get 36” cardboard mailing tubes and cut them into 6” sections. They could then pack each cylinder in one of the sections. I’ve also used 3” PVC pipe cut the same way when shipping very expensive cylinders.

Rich Gordon