Needle/machine requirement for playing early 7" records,,

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
fmblizz
Victor IV

Needle/machine requirement for playing early 7" records,,

Post by fmblizz »

Since acquiring a bunch of early 7 inch single sided records I of course would like to play them once they are cleaned up.

I have a copy of Turkey in De Straw on a Pre Dog 7" Victor that I'd love to play but I'm reluctant to play any of them at this point for fear of doing damage to them.

My machine options are a Victor "D", Zonophone Type "A" or Columbia Graphophone AH.

Is one of these machines preferred over the other two??

Also what do the forum members recommend as far as the best needle to use which would limit any further damage to these early records??

Thanks in advance

Blizz

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Needle/machine requirement for playing early 7" records,

Post by OrthoSean »

If I were you, I wouldn't play them AT ALL on an acoustic machine, no matter what, with each play, you will damage them. I play all of mine with modern equipment and the appropriate sized stylus. I realize that isn't exactly what you are asking, but I'd avoid acoustic playback and have someone make you a nice CD of them from proper equipment, EQ, stylus size, correct speed etc....

Sean

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Thanks Sean

Your right,,, definitely not what I wanted to hear... As I'm sure you know there are sites on the net to download nearly any record ever produced so I certainly wouldn't go through the trouble and expense of having someone record them for me as they are just not that important... Was really hoping to play them just a couple times and not on any regular bases.. Hardly worth having them if you can't enjoy them but as I said,, want to do the least amount of damage possible...

Was hoping that someone had experience on a specific type of needle to deal with record wear.

Blizz

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

fmblizz wrote: Was hoping that someone had experience on a specific type of needle to deal with record wear.
I have over 35 years of experience, and all of them would say what I already said, but if you really want to play them on a machine, use bamboo needles. I've done it and it's likely the least invasive way. You'd have to use the Victor D with a triangle hole Exhibition to make that happen.

Please don't take what I say as criticism. I have the means to do pro transfers of pretty much any record, so I'd be happy to transfer yours for you to a CD using proper stuff after properly cleaning them on my machine. That's totally up to you, of course, I wouldn't charge you a dime because I want to be sure we can preserve the sound of these. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss my offer. Lots of folks here can speak for me, I'd think.

Sean

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If you don't have a soundbox with a triangular needle chuck you can still use a thorn needle, which will be just as safe as bamboo.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Thankyou Sean,,, I really appreciate that generous off,,

No, I didn't take your reply as criticism in any way and fully understand your passion of conserving these disc..

I will PM you for further discussions, thanks again

blizz