Good things happen

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
stetam
Victor II

Good things happen

Post by stetam »

Stopped in an antique mall today and they had a few boxes of 78's. I spoke to the lady working and she said "They don't sell so I can have them for free". I obliged:)

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Good things happen

Post by Wolfe »

Nice story. Maybe post some groovy titles from the haul.

I don't much like hearing things like your antique lady said, because I think it encourges them to toss or refuse 78's and not have any out for sale at all. Most record stores nowdays won't carry them for that reason. :monkey:

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

I have a humane society thrift shop near me that told me they throw them all out because no one wants them. I told them to hold them for me.

Stetam

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

stetam wrote:Stopped in an antique mall today and they had a few boxes of 78's. I spoke to the lady working and she said "They don't sell so I can have them for free". I obliged:)
...and that is how you came to have a complete set of World's Greatest Music albums! ;)

OK, kidding aside, well done. I hope you got some real treasures in that lot. And in point of fact those unloved WGM sets have some wonderful music-making on them; a year or so ago I actually did a project to transfer them (yes, I have a complete run) and their companion World's Greatest Opera sets, and I was struck by just how well recorded and performed most of them were. As my mother used to say about dandelions, "If they weren't common, people would pay big money to own them."