Three nice early records. Nicole, G&T, Columbia

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Three nice early records. Nicole, G&T, Columbia

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

A recent ebay purchase has led to me owning a few really nice and early 7 inch records. The lot includes a rare Nicole record from c.1903 (What is the use of loving a girl? 1775), a Gramophone and Typewriter record (The soldiers farewell. 4202) and an early Columbia disc (Medley of Scotch airs. 549). I am a fan of very early record labels, so this is a nice addition to my small yet growing collection. I don't suppose anybody has an idea on the date for the G&T and Columbia discs? My research has come up blank. The records have not arrived yet, but I was too excited to wait for their arrival so I have posted the seller pics, which, unfortunately are of poor quality. Many thanks and I hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
000.jpg
00.jpg
0.jpg

Menophanes
Victor II

Re: Three nice early records. Nicole, G&T, Columbia

Post by Menophanes »

On the G. & t. record, the (apparently) hand-written matrix number and the large embossed catalogue number suggest an early date, perhaps 1903 or 1904. I presume this is a Victor matrix, despite the word LONDON on the label. I am away from home at present; when I am back, next week, I shall look up this item in J. R. Bennett's book which generally gives release dates.

The Columbia should be even earlier, since it does not include the patent date, 10 December 1901, which was added to the black-and-silver label design during 1902.

Oliver Mundy.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Menophanes wrote:On the G. & t. record, the (apparently) hand-written matrix number and the large embossed catalogue number suggest an early date, perhaps 1903 or 1904. I presume this is a Victor matrix, despite the word LONDON on the label. I am away from home at present; when I am back, next week, I shall look up this item in J. R. Bennett's book which generally gives release dates.

The Columbia should be even earlier, since it does not include the patent date, 10 December 1901, which was added to the black-and-silver label design during 1902.

Oliver Mundy.
The late Eddie Shaw's D.A.T.E.S. indicates G&T numbers 4197 to 4292 as being issued in 1902. I remember a collector/researcher with whom I was in touch some years ago saying that the Shaw listings contained some errors regarding early G&T, however (probably inevitable, and it was after all a perpetual work-in-progress; it's a pity nobody was able to carry on the good work).
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Thanks guys. That's some fantastic info. I hadn't realised they were such early dates.

As to the possibility of it being a Victor matrix, I'm not sure. I'm based in the UK and these coins came from a fellow English collector, so perhaps there's a slight difference between U>K and U>S labels on these records.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Both records arrived today and play great.

Upon closer inspection of the Columbia record, there is the faint trace of the 1886 and 1901 patent dates on them. So post-1902 I'd guess the Columbia is.