Actual DDs heard by the troops of WWI on Edison Army-Navy

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Actual DDs heard by the troops of WWI on Edison Army-Navy

Post by marcapra »

I just bought an Edison Army-Navy phonograph with 41 records. It turns out that these are not just any 41 DDs. These are the DDs that one Captain Snyder played to wounded soldiers. I'm going to write down the record titles that came with the machine a bit at a time. So here are the completed list of 40 DDs! They were selected to reflect a young man's taste. Lots of ragtime and coon songs. Lots of waltzes and one-steps. Just a few light classical or sentimental songs like That's an Irish Lullaby. Frow says Edison designed an Army Navy record storage box, but it is not known if they were ever put into production. You may see one or two record cabinets in pictures on the Internet, but they are probably not made by Edison. It would be fun to try to make one. Holds 40 records. These records have this inscription scratched onto the dead wax: 351 FH Co, Capt. Snyder. The FH means Field Hospital. I bought this machine from the grandson whose grandfather was a medic in WWI France. If you look at the record dates, they seem to tell a story. They start with some DDs from the earliest possible dates of 1912 and 1913. Then, they go through the teens with many dance band records and ragtime, as well as waltzes. Most of the records are from 1917, which would have been when this Army-Navy phonograph was new. Then, it looks like Captain Snyder bought just a few more DDs after 1918, and abruptly stopped in 1920 with Lopez and Hamilton's Kings of Harmony, a jazzy dance band. It seems that the Army Navy may have been put in the basement at this time and forgotten until I came across it in 2019, after a brief sleep of 99 years! I should say it did come with an adapter, but no 78 rpm records.

50055 My Lady Lu, Van Brunt/ Some Day, Eliz. Spencer (1913)
50060 Massa's in the Cold, Cold Ground, mixed chorus/ Old Folks at Home, Christine Miller (1913)
50076 Lustspiel Overture/ It Blew, Blew, Blew, Brass orch. (1913)
50100 Any Rags, coon song, Arthur Collins/ My Bambazoo, Collins and Harlan (1913)
50123 Hungarian Rag, NY Mil. band/ La Catrera Tango, Nat. Prom. band (1913)
50133 International Rag Medley/ Trail of the Lonesome Pine Medley, Nat. Prom. Band (1914)
50134 When It's Apple Blossom Time in Normandy medley, turkey trot/ Peg O' My Heart, Nat. Prom. Band (1914)
50138 The Night Owls-waltz hesitation/ Hesitation waltz, Nat. Prom. band (1914)
50151 Under the Double Eagle-march/ I See Thee Again-Waltz, N.Y. Military Band (1914)
50181 Ballin' the Jack, fox trot/ Reuben, fox trot, Nat. Prom. Band (1914)
50201 As You Please-one step, Jaudas Society orch./ Valse Marie, Nat. Prom. band (1914)
50229 If Your Heart Keeps Right/ The Old Fashioned Faith, Homer Rodeheaver (1915)
50230 That's an Irish Lullaby/ When I Dream of Old Erin, M. Romain (1915)

50261 Music Box Rag/ Valse Fantastique-Hesitation, Jaudas Society orch. (1915)
50271 By Heck, fox trot/ Destiny Waltz, Jaudas Society orch. (1915)
50288 Aloha Oe waltz medley/ Waipio medley, W. Smith and W. Kolomoku (1915)
50291 A Perfect Day waltz/ Sunset on the St. Lawrence waltz, Jaudas Society orch. (1917)
50292 Valse in E Flat/ Old Black Joe, Andre Benoist, piano solos (1916)
50295 A Little Pep-one step/ Robert's Globe Trot, Jaudas Society orch. (1915)
50344 Babes in the Wood fox trot/ Stop! Look! Listen! foxtrot, Jaudas Society orch. (1916)
50349 The Memphis blues/ Merry Whirl, Vess Ossman's Banjo orch. (1916)
50367 The Chateau Three-step/ La Confession waltz, Jaudas Society Orch. (1916)
50378 I Left Her on the Beach at Honolulu, Van Brunt/ By the Sad Luana Shore, Eliz. Spencer and G. Ballard (1916)
50388 Listen to This-one step/ Ole Virginny-one step, Jaudas Society orch. (1917)
50391 She is the Sunshine of Virginia, W. Van Brunt/ Turn Back the Universe and Give Me Yesterday, G. Ballard (1917)
50395 Mississippi Days, Collins and Harlan/ In Florida Among the Palms, Van Brunt (1917)
50397 Waters of Venice waltz/ Mighty Lak' a Rose waltz, Jaudas' Society Orch. (1917)
50402 O'Brien is tryin' to learn to talk Hawaiian, Ada Jones/ Dancing down in Dixieland, Collins and Harlan (1917)
50407 Nesting Time - Oh Boy! Rachel Grant, Billy Murray/ For Me and My Gal, B. Murray (1917)
50423 When You Hear Jackson Moan on his Saxophone, Billy Murray/ That Funny Jas Band from Dixieland, Collins and Harlan (1917)
50440 Canary Cottage one-step, Frisco "Jass" band/ Daly's Reel one-step, Van Epps Banjo orch. (1917)
50450 Good-bye Broadway, Hello France medley one-step/ Ain't You Coming Back to Dixieland?, Jaudas Society orch. (1917)
50506 Bring Back the Rose, Will Oakland/ Gentle Spring, Billy Murray (1918)
50541 Jazz DeLuxe fox trot, Earl Fuller's Famous Jazz Band/ Sensation Jazz one-step, All Star Trio. (1919)
50572 I Ain't-en Got-en No Time to Have the Blues, Billy Murray, Ed Smalley/ I'm Not Jealous, (but I don't like it), Rachel Grant, Billy Murray (1919)
50649 Bo-La-Bo - Egyptian fox trot, Lopez and Hamilton's Kings of Harmony orch./ My Isle of Golden Dreams, Tuxedo Dance orch. (1920)

80028 Where the Morning Glories Twine Around the Door, Royal Fish/ Rocked in the Cradle of the Deep, Frank Croxton (1912)
80143 April Smiles waltz/ La Gitana waltz, Amer. Sym. orch. (1914)
80334 Can't Yo Heah Me Callin', Caroline?, Vernon Dalhart/ Indiana, The Homestead Trio (1917)
80357 The Sunshine of Your Smile, Vernon Dalhart/ Dreams, Carolina Lazzari (1917)
80401 Charmant Oiseau/ Spring, Stella Power (1918)
Last edited by marcapra on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:52 am, edited 10 times in total.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Actual DDs heard by the troops of WWI on Edison Army-Nav

Post by Roaring20s »

This may very well be the the Division associated with your phonograph and Medic, Capt. Snyder of 351 FH (Field Hospital) :coffee:

From - https://www.newrivernotes.com/topical_h ... forces.htm
(Search for 351)

Eighty-Eighth Division (National Army)
Insignia, two figure "8's" in blue crossed at right angles. Organized at Camp Dodge Iowa, in Sept., 1917. This division was composed of National Army drafts from North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois. First units embarked for overseas on Aug. 8th and the last units arrived in France on Sept. 9th. Upon arrival in France the division was ordered to the twenty-first training area at Semur (Cote d'Or), except the artillery, which was sent to the vicinity of Bordeaux for training. On Sept. 14th the division was placed under the command of the 4th French Army and moved by rail to the Hericourt training area near Belfort and on Sept. 23d relieved the 38th French Division in the center sector (Haute-Alsace). The division held this sector until Nov. 2d, when it was placed under the 4th American Corps and moved to the Lagney area (Meurth et Moselle) as part of the 2d Army Reserve, where it was located at the time of the armistive. On Nov. 29th the division moved by marching to the first divisional training area at Gondrecourt (Meuse). On April 26, 1919, the control of the division passed to the C.G., S.O.S. Arrived in the U.S. on June 1st. The artillery did not rejoin the division but remained in training in the south of France until after the armistice, and was returned to the the U.S. in Jan. 1919.

Battle deaths, 27, wounded 63; number taken prisoners 2 officer and 7 men.

Commanding generals: Maj. Gen. Edward H. Plummer, Aug. 25 to Nov. 26, 1917; Brig. Gen. R. N. Getty, Nov. 26, 1917 to Feb. 9, 1918; Maj. Gen. Edward H. Plummer Feb. 19 to March 14, 1918 Brig. Gen. R. N. Getty, March 15 to May 23, 1918; Brig. Gen. Wm. D. Beach May 24 to Sept. 28, 1918; Maj. Gen. Wm. Weigel, Sept. 28 to Oct. 24, 1918; Brig. Gen. Wm. D. Beach, Oct. 24 to Nov. 7, 1918; Maj. Gen. Wm. Weigel, Nov. 7 to 11, 1918.

This division was composed of the following organizations: 156th, 157th Inf. Brigs., 163d Arty Brigs., 349th, 350th, 351st, 352d Inf. Regts., 337th, 338th, 339th Machine Gun Bns., 337th, 338th, 339th Fld. Arty. Regts., 313th Trench Mortar Battery, 313th Engr. Regt. And Train, 313th Fld. Sig. Bn., 313th Hqs. Train and M.P., 313th Supply Train, 313th Amm. Train, 313th Sanitary Train (349th, 350th, 351st and 352d Amb. Cos. And Field Hospitals).

And From - https://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdoc ... tDivs.html

THE 88TH DIVISION1, 27

(National Army. Insignia: Two solid figures "8" crossed at right angles, resembling a four-leaf clover)

The 88th Division was organized at Camp Dodge, Iowa, in September, 1917, from National Army drafted men of North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois,

later supplemented by drafted men from Missouri and Nebraska. The organization was as follows:

175th Infantry Brigade:
349th and 350th Infantry; 338th Machine Gun Battalion.
176th Infantry Brigade:
351st and 352d Infantry; 339th Machine Gun Battalion.
163d Field Artillery Brigade:
338th (light), 337th, and 339th (heavy) Field Artillery; 313th Trench Mortar Battery.
337th Machine Gun Battalion.
313th Engineers.
313th Field Signal Battalion.
Trains (313th Sanitary Train: Field Hospitals Nos. 349, 330, 351, 352 and Ambulance Companies Nos. 349, 350, 351, 352).

The first units embarked for overseas on August 9, 1918; the last units arrived in France September 7, 1918.

Upon arrival the division (less artillery) was ordered to the twenty-first training area, with headquarters established at Lemur (Cote d'Or). The Artillery brigade was sent to the artillery training school at Clermont-Ferrand, in the south of France. It never served in the division again and returned to the United States in January, 1919.

On September 14 the division was placed under the command of the French Seventh Army and moved by rail to the Hericourt training area (Haute Saone) near Belfort. For administrative purposes alone the division was under the American Seventh Corps with headquarters at Remiremont.

On September 23, 1918, the division relieved the French 38th Division in the center sector, Haute Alsace, with headquarters established at Montreux Chateau, on October 7. It held this sector until November 2, 1918, when it became a part of the American Second Army. One brigade was placed in reserve of the Fourth Corps, the remainder of the division being in army reserve, with headquarters at Lagney.

The sanitary train arrived in England on September 1, 1918, and on the 8th proceeded to the training area at Lemur, France. While in this area all casualties needing hospital care were sent to French Auxiliary Hospital No. 35 at Lemur. The train had no ambulances and sick were evacuated in automobiles. Serious cases were evacuated to Base Hospital No. 17, at Dijon, by ambulances belonging to that hospital.

On October 10 the sanitary train established headquarters at Chavennes-sur-l'Etang, in the center sector, Haute Alsace. This sector was divided by the Rhine-Rhone canal into a northern segment, held by the 175th Brigade, and a southern segment, held by the 176th Brigade. One regiment of each brigade was in the line. In the northern segment two battalions were in line, with headquarters at Hecken and Buethwiller, respectively, the northern battalion operating two advance aid posts located in dugouts in the woods and a battalion aid station at Hecken. All of these stations were easily reached by ambulance. The southern battalion operated one advance aid post in the northern end of their line and a battalion aid station at Balschwiller, which was very close to the front line. It was necessary to carry by litter from the upper station to Balschwiller, which was easily accessible by ambulance. These two stations evacuated directly to the field hospital located at Bellemagny all except gassed patients, who were sent to the triage at Retzwiller.

The segment south of the canal was held by three battalions of one regiment, with headquarters at Hagenbach, Badricourt, and Fulleren, respectively. The northern battalion operated a battalion aid station at Hagenbach and three advance posts located in the woods behind companies in the front lines. All of these stations were so located that ambulances could go within a very short distance of them. The middle battalion operated a battalion aid station at Badricourt and three advance stations located along a road behind the companies in the line. All of these stations were reached by ambulance.

The southern battalion operated a battalion aid station at Fulleren and two advance stations behind companies in the line. These stations also evacuated patients from the battalion aid stations by ambulance to the triage at Retzwiller.

The advance aid posts were equipped to do first-aid dressings and to hold a limited number of patients pending evacuation. The battalion aid stations had shock tables and were equipped to furnish hot drinks to patients needing them. Antitetanic serum was also administered here. Supplies and equipment were ample for the care of the wounded received. Regimental stations, which were used as supply depots, carrying reserve supplies, cared for only a few slightly sick men who needed care for a day or two.

After September 20, when motor ambulances were received, all transportation was pooled and ambulances were placed with each battalion and with regimental headquarters. When train headquarters was established at Chevannes-sur-L'Etang in the Alsace sector, training of the ambulance section personnel, less the transportation section, was continued. The litter-bearer section and dressing-station personnel of the ambulance companies were used as additional personnel at the field hospitals. On October 14, Ambulance Company No. 349 established, at Belfort, Rethenans Barracks Hospital, and operated there until November 8, when it was taken over by Field Hospital No. 352. A part of the personnel of Ambulance Company No. 351 established a convalescent camp at Bevilliers. Ambulance Company No. 352 established, on October 17, a triage at Retzwiller which it operated until November 6, 1918, when the train was reassembled at Vetrigne and entrained at Belfort on November 8. On the 9th, it detrained at Pagny-sur-Meuse and marched to Legney, where it remained until November 29, arriving at Hevilliers on December 1, 1918.

Field Hospital No. 350 assisted French evacuation hospital at Hericourt from September 22 to November 6, 1918. Field Hospital No. 352 established at Romagny from September 20 to November 2 for the care of gassed cases. It then took over Rethenans Barracks Hospital at Belfort, operating it until December 6, 1918. Field Hospital No. 349 established a hospital on September 20 at Bellemagny and operated it until November 5. Field Hospital No. 351 was established on September 29 at Checannes-les-Grands, where it operated until November 4.

The field hospital at Bellemagny cared for medical and surgical cases north of the canal, the triage evacuating medical and surgical cases to the field hospital located at Chevannes-les-Grands and gas cases to the gas hospital at Romagny. During the first part of the time spent in this sector, field hospitals evacuated to Hericourt, where Field Hospital No. 350 operated a portion of the French evacuation hospital, but later a hospital was opened at Rethenans Barracks to receive patients from the division. The hospital at Hericourt was then gradually cleared and closed, personnel and equipment being moved to the hospital at Rethenans Barracks to receive patients from the division. When the time came for the division to move, all sick patients were transferred to this hospital, which was operated until all had been discharged.

On November 10 the division arrived in the Toul sector, with headquarters at Legney, 9 km. (5.4 miles) north of Toul, where arrangements were made to complete equipment for more active fighting, but these were discontinued next day when the armistice was signed.

On November 29 the division moved by marching to the first training area, at Gondrecourt (Meuse). On April 15, 1919, the division was transferred to the First Army. On April 26 it passed to the command of the commanding general, S.O.S., preparatory to its return to the United States. Division headquarters sailed from St. Nazaire on May 21, 1919, and arrived at Newport News on June 1, 1919.

DIVISION SURGEONS 3

Col. J. R. Shook, M. C., August 20, 1917, to November 30, 1918.
Maj. H. Hansen, M. C., December 1, 1918, to February 27, 1919.
Maj. C. M. Dargan, M. C., February 28, 1919, June, 1919.

James.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Very interesting, Marc! Thanks for sharing.

Can you post some photos of your A/N, please?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

James, thanks for all that historical research!!! That really makes all this so real! I didn't even know what FH stood for until your post! Fran, I am working to getting some pics posted. Got to at least clean the cob webs off and give it some Goop! It's 102 years old and hasn't had a bath in probably 90 to 100 years! Notice that in the two years from 1917 to 1919 the word "Jass" goes from being in quotation marks and spelled with "ss" to Jazz without quotation marks.

Marc.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

marcapra wrote:Frow says Edison designed an Army Navy record storage box, and one or two have been found.
Marc,

Although I have seen a couple of boxes that were used to store discs for the Army/Navy, I've never seen an Edison example. Can you please direct me? Thanks - -

George P.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

George, I should probably revise that statement. I guess I assumed that a couple had been found from these pics. Have no idea if they were manufactured by Edison.
Attachments
Army navy recbox.jpg
Army navy recbox.jpg (8.14 KiB) Viewed 877 times
ThArmyNavyDDiscID2.jpg
ThArmyNavyDDiscID2.jpg (51.66 KiB) Viewed 877 times
ThArmyNavyDDiscID1.jpg
ThArmyNavyDDiscID1.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 877 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

marcapra wrote:George, I should probably revise that statement. I guess I assumed that a couple had been found from these pics. Have no idea if they were manufactured by Edison.
Marc, the oblong crate has labels that suggest it came from Clarksburg, West Virginia:
A&N1351g.jpg
ANcratelabel.JPG
The other is a cabinet rather than a crate, and arguably incongruous with the design of the machine. It's far more likely to have been a post-war attempt to transform that Army/Navy into a floor model. Had Edison offered such a cabinet for the Army/Navy, it surely would have been illustrated somewhere in Edison literature of the time.

I'm still hoping to see an Edison wartime record crate for the A/N. I'd be happy to see a period photo showing one.

George P.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

yes, I agree. The design of that cabinet is wrong for the Army Navy and was just used to make it into a floor model at some point. I have a question for you. Are the Army-Navy cabinets veneered?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

marcapra wrote: I have a question for you. Are the Army-Navy cabinets veneered?
No - solid wood.

George P.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Do you know if the wood is Poplar or Pine?