Edison Long Play 10006 - The one with Fox Trots

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

Edison Long Play 10006 - The one with Fox Trots

Post by donniej »

I couldn't find a decent upload of both sides so here it is. Side R had some tracking issues, I'm not sure why as the disc looks clean.... Side L is quite nice and I really enjoyed the 1812 Overture as a fox trot!

https://youtu.be/TTRjsL8D8e4

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Edison Long Play 10006 - The one with Fox Trots

Post by marcapra »

Yes, only in the 20s would someone think of making the 1812 Overture into a fox trot! That's just like making The Blue Danube Waltz into a 4/4 foxtrot, which they did do also! I would like to know more about your turntable. I know that Numark is a transcription turntable and I don't think very expensive. How did you get it to play vertical records? Did you have to buy another cartridge and stylus?

donniej
Victor III

Re: Edison Long Play 10006 - The one with Fox Trots

Post by donniej »

Marc,
The turntable I used is a Numark TTX, which has 50% pitch control, allowing for the high speeds needed for 5" Berliners (~100rpm). It's a DJ turntable, so it has some cool features like key lock and a BPM display. They were moderately priced when new, used they're hard to find in good condition but well worth it.

For the styli, I use Stanton 500 series carts exclusively for lateral discs. For vertical cut discs, I currently use Ortofon carts with DJS styli and some custom ones I made for large groove discs (like Pathé). The DJS is a small, spherical LP stylus, IIIRC it's .7mil.
There's also a Numark M6 mixer not seen in the video but it only has a 3 band EQ and I usually just leave them centered anyway. I use it for a direct feed to my phone for recording, it also has a USB port to record to PC. It also has a switch for stereo or mono playback. The M6 mixer is inexpensive, even new.