The Beginning of the End?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Lah Ca
Victor III

The Beginning of the End?

Post by Lah Ca »

Sometimes covers/sleeves are as interesting as what they contain. Here is a post-WWII cover from Columbia that sounds the death knell for the 78, albeit not for an immediate death.
Screenshot from 2023-11-27 08-16-51.png
A close up of the economic argument for the LP and "the LP player attachment."
Screenshot from 2023-11-27 08-16-08.png
Screenshot from 2023-11-27 08-16-08.png (351.24 KiB) Viewed 695 times
I am curious as to what "the LP player attachment" was. Was there some sort of speed adjustment attachment that would allow machines with no native 33 and ⅓ speed to play LPs?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: The Beginning of the End?

Post by epigramophone »

This message was less subtle :
Attachments
India.JPG

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

epigramophone wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:13 pm This message was less subtle :
Ahhh ... interesting. So I assume "the LP player attachment" was simply an electric turntable which could be patched into "any amplifier or radio." Thanks.

The LP record was researched and developed by Columbia prior to WWII, but then WWII delayed its release into the market place. It was not introduced until 1948, which is probably about the time these 10" sleeves here for 78 RPM records were printed.

Upon reflection, there are two things of interest in the statement of economics on the Columbia sleeve, besides the existence of an LP player attachment : 1) the statement of economics, $4.85 list price for the microgroove LP vs $8.50 to $10.00 for the same content on 78s; and 2) $4.85 in constant dollar terms--$4.85 in 1948 Canadian currency would be $63.57 in 2023 dollars--alternately assuming American dollars as a start, the 2023 price would be $61.92.

I might have to restrain my outraged sticker shock at the current retail prices of vinyl and CDs ... or not.
Last edited by Lah Ca on Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Lah Ca wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:34 pm
epigramophone wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:13 pm This message was less subtle :
Ahhh ... interesting. So I assume "the LP player attachment" was simply an electric turntable which could be patched into "any amplifier or radio." Thanks.

The LP record was researched and developed by Columbia prior to WWII, but then WWII delayed its release into the market place. It was not introduced until 1948, which is probably about the time this 10" sleeves here for 78 RPM records were printed.

Upon reflection, there are two things of interest in the statement of economics on the Columbia sleeve, besides the existence of an LP player attachment : 1) the statement of economics, $4.85 list price for the microgroove LP vs $8.50 to $10.00 for the same content on 78s; and 2) $4.85 in constant dollar terms--$4.85 in 1948 Canadian currency would be $63.57 in 2023 dollars--alternately assuming American dollars as a start, the 2023 price would be $61.92.

I might have to restrain my outraged sticker shock at the current retail prices of vinyl and CDs ... or not.
Actually, it was Victor that developed and briefly marketed the 33 ⅓ RPM LP beginning in 1931. It did not take off as it was an expensive option and it was the Depression.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

gramophone-georg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:53 pm Actually, it was Victor that developed and briefly marketed the 33 ⅓ RPM LP beginning in 1931. It did not take off as it was an expensive option and it was the Depression.
Yes. You are right. Thanks. I had read that one of the reasons that Victor bet so heavily on the 45 and albums of 45s was that they did not want to have to pay royalties to Columbia for the use of Columbia's technology.

But now digging in to the matter a bit more deeply, I see that Victor did indeed develop a much shorter playing 33 ⅓ speed disk earlier in the 1930s

Columbia's technology, however, was slightly different and allowed longer playing times, different enough that it could be patented? It is Columbia's technology that the Microgroove and 12" LPs were based upon, I think. But hey ... I have been known to be wrong before.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Lah Ca wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:33 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:53 pm Actually, it was Victor that developed and briefly marketed the 33 ⅓ RPM LP beginning in 1931. It did not take off as it was an expensive option and it was the Depression.
Yes. You are right. Thanks. I had read that one of the reasons that Victor bet so heavily on the 45 and albums of 45s was that they did not want to have to pay royalties to Columbia for the use of Columbia's technology.

But now digging in to the matter a bit more deeply, I see that Victor did indeed develop a much shorter playing 33 ⅓ speed disk earlier in the 1930s

Columbia's technology, however, was slightly different and allowed longer playing times, different enough that it could be patented? It is Columbia's technology that the Microgroove and 12" LPs were based upon, I think. But hey ... I have been known to be wrong before.
Yes, the Microgroove was an innovation, but none of the rest of it really was, including the 12" LP. Victor even had a vinyl- like composition called "Victrolac which they used on their 12" classical LP releases. You needed a special softer composition needle to play those. Lots of them are chewed up due to playing with regular needles.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Continuing slightly OT... Columbia had also an earlier LP technique, standard groove, 12", 33 ⅓ rpm shellac discs, similar to Victor. I say this because the Spanish branch recorded and issued four of these discs in January 1933, with orchestral selections made for the occasion. The technique could have been imported from UK or USA Columbia mother companies, or could have been developed in Spain, for I've never seen the English or American Columbia 1933 LP's, but the Spanish ones were advertised in catalogs and newspapers, and I own two of them.
They continued on the catalog for ten years, even selling also a portable mechanical gramophone that could play them. Spanish Columbia portables were made in several prices and according finish levels, and one of the models could play the 33 ⅓ rpm discs. These were advertised from 1933 to 1950 at least. They used Garrard motors and Thorens/Paillard hardware, and were very good, similar to the hmv 102. In the early 30s they advertised the same portable as UK Columbia, but after 1935 the connection was broken and the gramophones and records become Spanish own products.
Inigo

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Inigo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:27 pm Continuing slightly OT... Columbia had also an earlier LP technique, standard groove, 12", 33 ⅓ rpm shellac discs, similar to Victor. I say this because the Spanish branch recorded and issued four of these discs in January 1933, with orchestral selections made for the occasion. The technique could have been imported from UK or USA Columbia mother companies, or could have been developed in Spain, for I've never seen the English or American Columbia 1933 LP's, but the Spanish ones were advertised in catalogs and newspapers, and I own two of them.
They continued on the catalog for ten years, even selling also a portable mechanical gramophone that could play them. Spanish Columbia portables were made in several prices and according finish levels, and one of the models could play the 33 ⅓ rpm discs. These were advertised from 1933 to 1950 at least. They used Garrard motors and Thorens/Paillard hardware, and were very good, similar to the hmv 102. In the early 30s they advertised the same portable as UK Columbia, but after 1935 the connection was broken and the gramophones and records become Spanish own products.
That's very interesting! It is the first time I hear about these early Columbia 33 rpm records. I have some of the US Victor 33 rpms, as a curiosity, but I wasn't aware of Columbias, much less of gramophones (of any brand) to play at that speed.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Inigo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:27 pm Continuing slightly OT... Columbia had also an earlier LP technique, standard groove, 12", 33 ⅓ rpm shellac discs, similar to Victor. I say this because the Spanish branch recorded and issued four of these discs in January 1933, with orchestral selections made for the occasion. The technique could have been imported from UK or USA Columbia mother companies, or could have been developed in Spain, for I've never seen the English or American Columbia 1933 LP's, but the Spanish ones were advertised in catalogs and newspapers, and I own two of them.
Very interesting. Thanks.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

I couldn’t find a free photo of a Columbia LP attachment so this link to one on eBay will have to do.

Columbia wasn’t a phonograph maker, so they contracted out to Philco to make these attachment players. This one of several they made. Could even be the earliest.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155719181018?h ... R9jHov-CYw