"Ol' Man Mose" by Eddy Duchin and His Orchestra 1938

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

"Ol' Man Mose" by Eddy Duchin and His Orchestra 1938

Post by melvind »

Here is my transfer of the controversial song sung by Patricia Norman and Eddy Duchin and His Orchestra. Controversial because many people think she drops the F-Bomb a number of times. It was even banned in the UK. I have to say after transferring it (and hearing it too many times) and making a YouTube video of it I am fairly confident the phrase is actually Buck, Buck, Bucket. But, to each his own and a little controversy never hurt anyone. It made this record sell 170,000 copies because of all the publicity! So I doubt those involved ever actually tried to dispel the rumors. And, who knows... perhaps she did actually drop the F-Bomb. :lol:

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

https://youtu.be/VvHsoApvLJ8

Here is the other side which is also sung by Patricia Norman. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

https://youtu.be/TzMQykAkE94
Last edited by melvind on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larryh
Victor IV

Re: "Ol' Man Mose" by Eddy Duchin and His Orchestra 1938

Post by larryh »

Wonderful record. I love Duchin but miss the piano being a big part of the music. Still it has a real driving sound which is hard to beat. As to F or B Its a bit hard to say. Sometime she seems to use the F followed by the B, but probably no one will every figure it out for sure.

Larry

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

larryh wrote:Wonderful record. I love Duchin but miss the piano being a big part of the music. Still it has a real driving sound which is hard to beat. As to F or B Its a bit hard to say. Sometime she seems to use the F followed by the B, but probably no one will every figure it out for sure.

Larry
Right up there with "Did Joe Venuti actually sing 'Barnacle Bill The Sh!thead'?"
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

Several years ago, a friend and I actually made a Cylinder record (through the wonderful works of Vulcan Cylinder) of a super clean copy of this record. Its a four-minute format and turned out stunning. I think there may be one left if anyone has interest.

Contact me at MShawnORourke@gmail.com if you are interested.
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

Paul77
Victor Jr

Post by Paul77 »

Would be interesting to see the uncited source of the Discogs-given sales figure of 170,000.

Unfortunately Discogs, Wikipedia and other sites are loaded with unproven and excessive sales figures to I guess amaze the masses.

Paul Whiteman and Enrico Caruso seem to be the most misquoted sales figures

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Paul77 wrote:Paul Whiteman and Enrico Caruso seem to be the most misquoted sales figures
I don't know exact numbers but Enrico Caruso became a multi-millionaire from his 50 cents per record sold contract with Victor. So, certainly his records sold millions. And, as virtually every antique store in the country has multiple Caruso records, it is not at all hard to believe. This is obviously true for John McCormack and probably also for Paul Whiteman. So, I don't exactly know what you are getting at.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

larryh wrote:Wonderful record. I love Duchin but miss the piano being a big part of the music. Still it has a real driving sound which is hard to beat. As to F or B Its a bit hard to say. Sometime she seems to use the F followed by the B, but probably no one will every figure it out for sure.

Larry

Indeed, it's a really nice hard-driving tune (very un-Duchin-ish) during the verses. It's that section that I often have stuck in my head, and has caused me to wear out my copy. The loping chorus with the cussing and chicken voice, however, is kinda goofy.

Thanks for the upload, it sounds great!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse