The EMI Archive Trust

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

The EMI Archive Trust

Post by epigramophone »

The BBC Music Magazine for December 2019 contains a four page article on the Trust by the broadcaster, musicologist and CLPGS member Simon Heighes.
The archivists gave him permission to explore what is said to be the world's largest collection of 305,000 gramophone records, plus the 67,000 original metal masters and the many thousand photos, files and sales catalogues. A very interesting read.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: The EMI Archive Trust

Post by Inigo »

Wasn't it this collection the one which was investigated by Brian Rust, when he worked there, and started to compile his Jazz discography?
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Not being a jazz aficionado I cannot say, but I do know that the late Roger Thorne's extensive research in the Archive made possible the "His Master's Gramophone" book. When Roger realised that he would never be able to write the book himself, he made his research available to the authors, who showed their gratitude by dedicating the book to his memory.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

CORRECTION!

I was given a photocopy of the article by a friend, who had written "BBC Music Magazine December 2019" on it.
He now tells me that the article appeared in the special Christmas 2019 issue, not the regular December one.