Chris Bouchillon - South Carolina Talking Blues

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Chris Bouchillon - South Carolina Talking Blues

Post by Curt A »

Christopher Allen Bouchillon (August 21, 1893 – September 18, 1968) was an American country music and blues musician from South Carolina, who is often credited with being the originator of the talking blues musical style.

Bouchillon developed his trademark "talking" way of singing because of his supposedly horrible singing voice. His recording director reportedly loved to listen to him talk however, and recommended he re-record a few songs by talking instead of singing. The resultant record, "Talking Blues" was released in 1927 and became a hit. This unique talking style of singing became known as the talking blues and inspired artists such as Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan.

Songs:
-She Doodle Dooed - 7 July 1925, Atlanta, Georgia - as The Bouchillon Trio
-Talking Blues, Hannah - 4 November 1926, Atlanta, Georgia
-Waltz Me Around Again Willie, Let It Alone, You Look Awful Good To Me, In A City Far Away - 26 March 1927, Atlanta, Georgia
-South Carolina Blues, My Fat Girl, Born In Hard Luck, The Medicine Show - 5 April 1927, Atlanta, Georgia
-Chris Visits The Barber Shop, A Bull Fight In Mexico, A Week End At Sam Stover's, Hebrew and Home Brew, Good Night Run - 10 November 1927, Atlanta, Georgia
-Sam Stover and the Clergyman - 10 November 1927, Atlanta, Georgia
-Old Blind Heck, New Talking Blues, I Got Mine - 1, 2, I've Been Married Three Times, My Wife's Wedding, Oyster Stew, - 16 April 1928, Atlanta, Georgia
-Adam And Eve - Part 1-4 - 29 October 1928 - as Mr & Mrs Chris Bouchillon
-Speed Maniac, Ambitious Father, Girls of To-day, Oh Miss Lizzie - 30 October 1928, Atlanta, Georgia

"Adam and Eve" - Chris and Ethel Bouchillon and "Born In Hard Luck"
http://open1234.wix.com/camps-site/inde ... am-and-eve

NOTE: If anyone has any of these titles for sale, please PM me or send an email to:
curt.angstman@gmail.com
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife