Little Wonder Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Little Wonder Records

Post by JerryVan »

I bought a Little Wonder album with a full compliment of records in it this past Sunday. Each record appears to be unplayed. Just because I thought I should play the records, seeing as how I paid for the privilege of doing so, I put a few on the turntable of an Orthophonic Victor. WOW, these are really nice little records. Excellent volume and very nice bass. Not what I expected from toy records. I have played Little Wonders before, but as 90% of them are, they were badly worn and sounded lousy. Really nice ones turn out to be some very decent recordings.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Little Wonder Records

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I have a few Little Wonders in my collection they are often mistaken for children’s records but they are (mostly) not. I do have some LWs that are children’s records but mostly they are just digest versions of regular songs. I wonder how many members here have the special players for these CD sized records?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Everything you ever wanted to know about Little Wonders on one website: http://www.littlewonderrecords.com/index.html
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I have a few Little Wonders in my collection they are often mistaken for children’s records but they are (mostly) not. I do have some LWs that are children’s records but mostly they are just digest versions of regular songs. I wonder how many members here have the special players for these CD sized records?
Are you referring to the Little Wonder Talking Machine ? It was an unrelated product designed for hill and dale records.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Some of the old phonographs were small tinplate machines made for use on vacations, in spare rooms, etc. Little Wonders were actually intended as a cheaper alternative for people to hear the latest songs on their phonographs without paying full price for 10" records. We easily forget that a 75-cent record cost the equivalent of around $15-$20 today. A $150 Victrola was a major investment.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Some of the old phonographs were small tinplate machines made for use on vacations, in spare rooms, etc. Little Wonders were actually intended as a cheaper alternative for people to hear the latest songs on their phonographs without paying full price for 10" records. We easily forget that a 75-cent record cost the equivalent of around $15-$20 today. A $150 Victrola was a major investment.

Yes. Consider that a 1925 Model T Roadster sold for $250.00.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Here is a link to a great Little Wonder website. Merle Sprinzen runs this website, but she also has a nice book on Little Wonder records.

http://www.littlewonderrecords.com/

Amazon.com has one used book, but it is quite expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Little-Records-I ... 785&sr=8-3

It was originally a Mainspring Press book and they no longer publish books. I do not know if it is available in an electronic form or not.