Brown wax records in original box question

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bruv
Victor I

Brown wax records in original box question

Post by bruv »

I have one or two brown wax records, and haven't done anything with them or don't really know if they are worth playing around with, but have a chance to pick up this box of some. I would probably only get these to re-sell to someone who would use them or need them. My question is , are they worth buying, or are they too fragile of an item to really bother with? I believe these will be very inexpensive, I'll will know Saturday the price. I have seen brown wax records sell pretty well on record auctions, but I haven't really paid much attention as to why they may be very collectible. Any suggestions or info would be much appreciated. There was only one I could see that was cracked. All the others are intact. None appeared to have been used, and the box has the lid, also.
Dave
Attachments
IMG_1973.jpg

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Brown wax records in original box question

Post by FellowCollector »

bruv wrote:My question is , are they worth buying, or are they too fragile of an item to really bother with?
Mmmmm...those sure look sweet to me. I'd be all over those brown wax cylinders like white on rice if the auction was near me. Brown wax cylinders in nice condition (as these appear to be) are high on my list of items to collect. Why? Some very interesting and unusual recordings were made on brown wax cylinders by equally interesting early recording artists. And they were (and remain) incredibly prone to mold infestation so finding them nice is not so easy. These appear to have been well cared. They may also be shaved blanks. It's difficult to tell by the picture. But even if these are shaved blanks they're worth purchasing. And there may be some early home recordings in there as well which are always interesting. If you end up getting these for a song and decide to sell or trade them feel free to send me a PM. ;)

Doug

bruv
Victor I

Post by bruv »

They didn't appear to have any recordings on them or appear to have been shaved. I think they are just unused blanks. I wondered about the fragility of them, whether to bother or not. Thanks for the input.
Dave

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

They look like Columbia circa very late 1898-1901. Note single spiral only, they are normal size brown wax cylinders, as early Columbia blanks circa 1897, are a tad thinner, shorter, with thinner, deeper wax thread. Sometimes the grooves on Brown wax cylinders, are very shallow, and sometimes they may even look blank, but you play them and are fully recorded. I can't tell from the picture if they are blanks. If they are, actually blanks and not records they will still record just fine.