What’s the most offensive/non-PC record you’ve come across?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
LtFrenchFries
Victor Jr

What’s the most offensive/non-PC record you’ve come across?

Post by LtFrenchFries »

DISCLAIMER: I think it’s safe to say that no one on this forum agrees or condones the messages and themes presented in these records. This is purely for educational purposes. This thread should be as non-political as possible. Obviously this is a touchy subject, but this isn’t meant to hurt anyone, just fulfill my curiosity.

That being said, in my time exploring this really old music, I’ve come across quite a bit of “offensive” content. Obviously, at a time when anti-Semitism and racism were widespread a lot of music was made that would be shunned today. The only one I have in this category is an Edison Cylinder of a “Coon Duet” from a minstrel show. I began to wonder how far these songs would go. So, what’s the worst one you’ve seen/heard?
Attachments
3E1C06CD-A2CD-44E4-AEDB-D752E84FC51B.jpeg
C283D9D3-CF7C-4AE8-899B-9FFA0E72D066.jpeg

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: What’s the most offensive/non-PC record you’ve come acro

Post by edisonplayer »

As my late friend Arthur Pare told me,In those days that was the common thing.edisonplayer

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

Lily of Laguna, sung by Louis Bradfield on an English Berliner made in October 1900, includes two racially offensive terms in the first four lines. (Only the chorus, which is innocent in this regard, is remembered today.) It is an early wax-cut recording and unusually attractive for its age, with a spirited piano accompaniment. Moved by this, I have put a digitisation (with a prominent warning) on my web page http://www.horologia.me.uk/discs.html ; I hope it has not distressed anybody. I also have Little Alabama Coon by the Haydn Quartette (U.S. Berliner, June 1898), but I felt that it might be too much of a bad or at least questionable thing to add this to the same page. Rather surprisingly, there is at least one complete (later) recording of each of these songs on YouTube.

Frederick Bevan's song The Admiral's Broom (words by F. E. Weatherly) quite inadvertently strikes at modern sensibilities by applying two epithets in quick succession, in senses which are not now acceptable, to the great seventeenth-century Dutch admiral Tromp. Nonetheless, Peter Dawson's renderings on both cylinder and disc are still readily circulated.

Oliver Mundy.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"N****er Loves His Possum", "Rabbit Hash", "Bake Dat Chicken Pie" and many others.
"N****er Loves His Possum" - Collins & Harlan (1906) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6F_S4LbdpE
"Bake Dat Chicken Pie" - Collins & Harlan (1907) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIopyLEIbPM
Attachments
KKK.jpg
Last edited by Curt A on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Curt A wrote:"N****er Loves His Possum", "Rabbit Hash", "Bake Dat Chicken Pie" and many others.
Wow! That is a fascinating piece of history, never thought such a thing would have existed, however a staggering percentage of the US belonged to the KKK in the 20s and 30s.

Someone I have a real love for is Daryl Davis. He is a black man who since the 80s has become friends with and converted 200+ members of the KKK. I would recommend to people who are interested to listed to his episode of the Joe rogan podcast. He also has a documentary called "accidental courtesy".

Martin

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

For me, it's a tie:

"The Argentines, The Portuguese And The Greeks" by the no-talent Duncan Sisters -- https://www.discogs.com/The-Duncan-Sist ... se/9959161 The song laments the influx of immigrants from non-Northern European countries, but the last line conveys some irony: "When we sing 'My country 'Tis of Thee,' none of us knows the words but the Argentines, the Portuguese And the Greeks."

"Little Cotton Dolly" by the Shannon Quartet -- https://www.discogs.com/Shannon-Quartet ... se/9915284 in which a "mammy" quiets her baby by terrifying it: "hush, hush, my little cotton dolly, goblins am a commin' after you." :?:

OrthoFan

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Not a 78, but I once found a Johnny Rebel 45 from the 1960s... :? probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever heard pressed on vinyl.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

My contribution to the Talking Machine Forum Museum of Filth will have to be the delightfully happy "I Got Mine" from 1906, and there was another but I forgot what it was but it was basically a very indecent song from the 1950s on 78rpm record which was promptly destroyed. "I Got Mine" is full of racial slurs but still portrays a positive & cheerful image and is very good ragtime.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

"The Colored Recruits" is pretty well up there...

- Bill

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

One of many cylinders I have in the collection with offensive lyrics (and in this instance...an offensive title). For what it's worth, this is a VERY difficult selection to find on Edison 4 minute wax Amberol so I'm presuming that even when new it was very unpopular with cylinder customers. This title was only released on Edison wax Amberol cylinder that I'm aware of.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_5977.jpg