Savoy Orpheans Demo Record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Savoy Orpheans Demo Record

Post by JHolmesesq »

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up this promotional record by Columbia which advertises the Savoy Hotel Orpheans, it features Carroll Gibbons and Rudy Starita amongst others soloing. I've never heard anything like it so I thought you'd appreciate it too.

Does anybody have any idea when it was recorded? I presume Columbia released it to promote their newest band but I cannot find when this is.
And to think such a unique record cost me only £5!

[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKYaWWttAJs[/youtubehq]

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Savoy Orpheans Demo Record

Post by gramophoneshane »

The Savoy Hotel Orpheans were formed in 1931. As for finding the exact recording date, you'd have to use the matrix number, or the monthly catalogue suppliments for the release date.
Unfortunately I'm unaware of any online sites that list matrix numbers for British Columbias (or much of any other label).
Someone here may have the British matrix list, or if it was released in USA it may be listed on one of the online discographies, but you'd need the US catalogue number to find it I think.
The NZ & Aussie site doesn't list the release dates for the "CO" series either.
Try googling the matrix - Columbia XXXXXXX, and you might get lucky, or one of the jazz/dance band sites might mention it somewhere too.