Triumph Cylinder record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Triumph Cylinder record

Post by dzavracky »

I am new to collection cylinders. What do you guys know about this record?
Attachments
6F3F7649-E80B-4332-AC91-524CC9FD3994.jpeg
A4E52A03-ACF7-429B-8B86-88035BE63CA1.jpeg

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: Triumph Cylinder record

Post by edisonphonoworks »

The cylinder looks to be of recent manufacture (Maybe in the last 15-30 years). I wonder if it was someone who recorded on Miller Morris blanks or made their own. Is it a spiral core blank, ribbed core, or smooth bore record? I made some blanks that looked like this before 2010, which were smoothbore, though the box is definitely not mine.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Oh how neat! I'll post more picutres of it when I get it this weekend

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's something I've never seen before. I'm guessing it's a modern cylinder box though, simply because there's an Edison machine pictured.
I doubt back in the day, Edison would have let that happen.
Then again maybe it was a short lived company because upon release Edison sued??
Still, with no apparent company information such as an address etc, I'm leaning towards it being a modern fantasy label.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Now that might have something interesting on it!

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

Triumph records were made just before Miller Morris Blanks were available(1981). the box is nice to see, as this might be one company who made more records than boxes, my copy of "five foot two" came across the Atlantic in cardboard packing box and wrapped only in newspaper.
The core of mine is smooth with little evidence of reaming and I suspect he material is softened recycled black moulded cylinders but could be new wax material and certainly a newly moulded blank not a dictation machine blank cut down.
I can't lay my hands on the catalogue at the moment and I don't recall any other details if I find it I will see if I can post here.

Does any one own a PAYER record from the same period?
I have biggish catalogue for Payer but have never seen an actual record.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I have a Payer Catalog as well, from the late 1970s. Supposedly they were available in two and four-minute records. The person I got the catalog from, wrote some questions in it, as well, what are the materials, (wax or celluloid, and how durable they were.) They also had some fiberglass horns as well, like some other accessories. Rick Wilkins also made some cylinders many years ago. A pretty decent blank could be made by adding stearic acid to black wax, softening it, I have done this very thing before, also adding carbonate of soda, or hydrated aluminum as well. It is though the other ingredients in the Edison moulded cylinders that could cause wear. Ebonite, carnauba wax, pine tar, and copper powder were added to make them more durable, an Edison moulded cylinder has equal parts ceresine and carnauba wax (or ebonite in place of carnauba. 12.5% of each)

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

How neat! I’ll post better pictures when I get it this weekend

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Hey guys,

Here are some pictures of the record. I haven't listened to it yet because I do not have a working 2 min machine. Maybe I will post a recording when I finish repairing my graphophone. It is a recording of the Charleston, the color of the wax is a dark brown. There was no lid on the box sadly :(

David
Attachments
IMG_5750.jpg
IMG_5749.jpg
IMG_5748.jpg
IMG_5747.jpg
IMG_5746.jpg

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

dzavracky wrote:Hey guys,

Here are some pictures of the record. I haven't listened to it yet because I do not have a working 2 min machine. Maybe I will post a recording when I finish repairing my graphophone. It is a recording of the Charleston, the color of the wax is a dark brown. There was no lid on the box sadly :(

David
Wow, what a cool piece of phonograph collector history!

Martin