Triumph Cylinder record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: Triumph Cylinder record

Post by edisonphonoworks »

It makes you wonder how many hobbyist blank makers and those who made blank cylinders for research existed. I can't remember the fellow's name but will look through my papers at some point, and we corresponded. It will show up on some research papers, a person who passed away a few years ago who was from Bloomington, IL we had chatted on the phone about him working with Leah Burt in the late 1970s and early 1980s duplicating brown wax formulas. By far the best modern wax I have heard and seen is made by Chuck Richards. No doubt about it!

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

For anyone wondering what this record sounds like.... here is a video I just made :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRnnNu-DjsI

There is a crack on the record... but it still plays all the way through.

Cheers,

David

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's pretty cool.
I wonder if they were moulded, or individually recorded on blank's, and if they were moulded, whatever happened to the moulds?

GlensterTX
Victor O

Post by GlensterTX »

That’s a more-or-less modern recording of the “Charleston”, probably from the 60s or so. I doubt anyone would think it’s a vintage original cylinder, but it *is* a neat repro item!

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I am not sure how it was made. It does seem as if it may be from a mould. It is more brown than black actually. It doesn't look like a EGM 2 min cylinder was shaved down to make it.

David

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Interesting need little record. I find these early examples of newer productions quite interesting.
Despite most of these cylinders indeed originate from the Miller-Morris era, there were few brief appearances by others as well such as recycled EdGM cylinders that Rick Wilkins sold many years ago. I have one somewhere but have to dig it out.

This one here has the usual resonance and characteristics of a recording that was made with a speaker placed in front of a horn. There is only so much you can do with such a setup to get something decent recorded. Nevertheless, these are the early attempts by enthusiasts to re-create something special.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

WDC wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 am Interesting need little record. I find these early examples of newer productions quite interesting.
As do I. I thought it was disappointing that the cylinder was cracked because it's an early attempt at creating a commercially available pre-recorded cylinder for collectors, over half a century after the last cylinders were made.
I'd imagine these became available just prior to Electrophone resin cylinders, which may never have been made if these earlier wax cylinders hadn't proven there was a market for them amoungst collectors.
Without these pioneering efforts, we may not have the fantastic variety and quality reproduction cylinders from Phono works (thank you Norman) and Vulcan today.

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

Just pre Miller Morris production of wax blanks and the record I have looks and feels as if it might be a softened mix of old wax cylinders but it could have been new formulation
I Cannot find the catalogue at the moment but it had extensive use of the Enoch Light orchestra material that came out on LP in the 1960s and had convenient 2 min versions of 20s hits. ( folded A4 paper and about 40 to 50 titles on it )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMv6nFBQO70

Note the percussion in the intro is the same as the cylinder as is the unedited length if I find the list I will put it up .

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

recordmaker wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:43 am Just pre Miller Morris production of wax blanks and the record I have looks and feels as if it might be a softened mix of old wax cylinders but it could have been new formulation
I Cannot find the catalogue at the moment but it had extensive use of the Enoch Light orchestra material that came out on LP in the 1960s and had convenient 2 min versions of 20s hits. ( folded A4 paper and about 40 to 50 titles on it )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMv6nFBQO70

Note the percussion in the intro is the same as the cylinder as is the unedited length if I find the list I will put it up .
Video unavailable... :(

- Bill

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

Link and video works from the forum when I click on it here.

Enter Charleston · Enoch Light & Charleston City All-Stars in to the YouTube search if not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAC0crbuI68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzV2X5Q8IdY

Although the dance version seems a bit slow