Two terrific Ray Noble RCA Victor recordings from 1935

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

Two terrific Ray Noble RCA Victor recordings from 1935

Post by melvind »

I have had this record for awhile but really had never listened to it until very recently. Wow, I was kind of blown away at the quality of the orchestra, the arrangements and the amazing talent this group had. I think it is right up there with my favorite 1930s recordings now that I have paid more attention to them. "Let's Swing It" was done in one take! The B side is "Chinatown, My Chinatown" that starts with a soft slow few seconds then launches right into full blown swing. Lots of great solos and fun rhythms. These were fun to transfer.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

https://youtu.be/D17vgKWUn30

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

https://youtu.be/XpFRL-uF20I

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Re: Two terrific Ray Noble RCA Victor recordings from 1935

Post by phonosandradios »

Thanks for those. Ray Nobles band had a great sound and orchestrations. Whilst a lot of collectors overlook bands from this era there were some great recording made. I particularly like some of the Arti Shaw recordings form this and slightly later period.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Even though Ray Noble was English, I think he had a radio show in the U.S. in the mid 1930s. Glenn Miller was his trombonist and I think, arranger.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Really rich recording and interesting arrangements, and of course an excellent transfer. I need a copy of this!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse