Hooked on Concert records.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Hooked on Concert records.

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Hey guys, I just got my concert top works completed. I will be purchasing new concert blanks for a while until I can make my own. (My new ones will be a single thread spiral 2 TPI just like the Edison Concert blanks.) I have not made the mold yet but have a design for it. I will be wanting to do live Concert/Grand recordings at 160 rpm using later 1910 era advanced studio recording technology to see what the limit of Concert recording is. I have a small pulley and also the very large pulley that came with the earliest Concert machines. I also have the carriages for playing both Concert and standard size records, the top works was converted at some point to play standard records, so I have a slip over mandrel, (from an A/B) for recording and playing Concert records, and a standard size mandrel for playing and recording standard records. I made a prototype recording carriage that also can record standard and concert records with an original 1910 era advance ball studio head.
Attachments
Set up to record the concert records with a prototype recording carriage trunnion and studio arm. I will construct a much studier recording arm out of ½" brass round stock.
Set up to record the concert records with a prototype recording carriage trunnion and studio arm. I will construct a much studier recording arm out of ½" brass round stock.
Set up to play Concert Grand records. The carriage in a new casting. I can record with an authentic 1890s edison recording head, or use the 1910 original commercial studio factory recording head for unbeleavable fidelity.
Set up to play Concert Grand records. The carriage in a new casting. I can record with an authentic 1890s edison recording head, or use the 1910 original commercial studio factory recording head for unbeleavable fidelity.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Hooked on Concert records.

Post by phonogfp »

Just to clarify: "Concert" was the trade name Edison used for 5-inch cylinder records. "Grand" was Columbia's trade name for the same format. The generic term is "5-inch cylinders."

George P.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

phonogfp wrote:Just to clarify: "Concert" was the trade name Edison used for 5-inch cylinder records. "Grand" was Columbia's trade name for the same format. The generic term is "5-inch cylinders."

George P.
Oh Yes! Columbia Graphophone Grand, Edison Concert.
From what I understand is that Edison was using the 5" format for some time prior to 1898. (I am very curious, how early and will look through lab notes to find out more.) 5" cylinders for masters, for pantographic purposes, some of them made from 5" electroplated molds.) The 5" records were used to duplicate the standard size brown wax cylinder on the pantograph machines. Somehow someone with insider information leaked all this to the American Graphonopne Company, obviously with exact dimensions and they decided to release it as a public format in 1898. Again it seems the spiral core can tell an Edison from a Columbia, The 5" format is opposite, of the standard size cylinder Edison's are single spiral and Columbia are double start spiral for 5" cylinders.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

Well, it seems that the single double spiral information is wrong for Columbia and Edison on the 5" format. I have both, and both have a double spiral. What I do see differently on a naked 5" record, is the Edison Concert, the left, or non-titled end is more abrupt, while the Graphophone Grand record has a more beveled left end.